Answering a Reader Question #466

Anonymous Wrote:

Hi! I'm a 20 year old (21 in April) 5'10 130 pounds. I have been trying to pursue my dream of modeling since I was 16 years old. After some scams finally got linked up with a good small agency here in NC where I live problem being my agent is mostly focused on her younger girls she can move into the New York market. I am by no means high fashion or a runway model I've always been told I'm very commercial although I have done a few local fashion shows. Thus being said these are my questions!!

1)At this age do I still have a shot?
2)Could I still be signed to a larger agency and travel?
3)If either of these is yes, what is my next step?


Hi there, Anonymous!

Here are the answers to your questions (thanks for putting them in such a nice, organized list):

1) Yes! Since you said you've got more of a commercial/print look that actually works in your favor because print models lead much longer careers, compared to fashion/runway models. You can continue modeling for print work well into your late 20s, 30s and older.

2) Print models aren't known for traveling outside city limits for work like fashion/runway models. However, you are definitely in the position where you can move up to a bigger agency in a larger market. Getting representation in a good market that has a lot of print work available will allow you to book very well paying jobs.

3) Your next step would be to seek out agencies with commercial/print and lifestyle divisions (lifestyle is basically print work but for models that are 25 years of age or older. However, sometimes the age requirement is flexible for some agencies).

I don't know if you'd be willing to relocate outside of NC to pursue a more serious print modeling career but if so, I would be happy to provide you with the names and websites of agencies if you give me the city/state you think you may be interested in looking into.

Otherwise, if there are bigger print agencies in the NC area that you're aware of, it would be a good idea to check out their websites to see what the requirements and submission information is all about. How soon is your contract up for renewal with your current agent? If it's not too far off, it would be better to wait until your contract is up so that you can easily transition from one agency to the other.

However, if it's not for a while, you're still within your right to submit to other agencies and should you find one that wants to sign you, simply refer to your contract with your original agent to see what the guidelines are for getting out of it. Usually it's as simple as writing a letter stating you want to terminate your contract, effective immediately. You are never obligated to tell your agent why you want to leave or that you've been seeking other agencies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035