Answering a Reader Question #458

Anonymous Wrote:

hi dania!
i just got signed to scout in san fran. as a high fashion model and I have my portfolio shoot this upcoming Saturday. I'm also meeting with the director for the first time that same week and i was wondering what to expect from both of these. I knew you would be the best person to ask because you've worked with scout :)

oh by the way, i was recruited to scout after meeting with ford in LA and they told me they work with and have close ties to scout. They said they are still interested in me but they want me to start my portfolio at scout. I'm kinda confused as to what might happen there too so I was hoping you can help

i know it's a lot :/ i just have a lot of questions haha

thanks so much! 


Hey, Anonymous!

Congrats on getting signed to Scout! They're a great agency and I'm happy to be on their roster. :-)

The portfolio shoot is pretty straightforward...when you meet with the director, you'll more than likely get the 411 on the portfolio shoot process so make sure to ask any questions you may have during that time. When I got signed to Scout, I was already an established model with a portfolio so I didn't have to do a shoot for them.

As far as what you can expect exactly, I can't really say. But in most cases, the agency will give you direction as to what types of looks they'll want from you, what outfits to bring and because the photographer you'll be working with likely has shot with other of Scout's models, he/she will already have a good grasp on what images to take. During the shoot the photographer will work with you, provide instruction/direction as needed, etc. You don't have to worry about being left to figure everything out on your own.

The meeting with the director will be laid back and not super formal. You'll get a basic crash course on how they operate, what they envision for your career/how they plan on marketing you and as I mentioned above, it'll be a chance for you to get your questions answered and concerns addressed.

Based on what Ford in LA told you, I'm guessing that right now they want you to start off working in a smaller market like San Francisco so that you can not only build images for your portfolio but gain experience through the shoots and jobs you book there. Since Ford has ties with Scout, I'm sure they'll keep each other updated about your progress and once Scout and Ford feels you're ready to tackle LA, that's when you'll be brought onto Ford's roster and submitted to gigs in LA since you'll already have a portfolio to showcase and some gigs under your belt.

But that's just my guess based on the situation you described. Either way, you're agency represented now so have fun with the portfolio shoot and turn to your booker at Scout for anything you need help with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035