Answering a Reader Question #457

Bee Wrote:

Hi Dania! I love your blog. I've bookmarked several pages.

Okay, now to my question. I've been told I should model (Hasn't everyone? :P), but I haven't pursued it seriously. I have the height (5'10") and I believe I have the look, but my hips are too big (35-25-38) and I weigh 140 lbs. Also I am turning 20 early 2013. I sent my pictures into several NYC agencies on a whim and just to experience it. (Whatever happens, happens)

My question is: Should I keep trying to lose weight and inches off my hips? My gut is telling me to keep going for it. I just don't want to waste my time, but I don't want to regret anything.

Sincerely,
Bee


Hi there, Bee!

I would only suggest working on your hips and losing weight if you can do so in a healthy way. But based on the info you've provided, it seems like you would have to change your body shape and that's not typically something that can be realistically done.

Just to put things into perspective for you before you decide to commit to losing weight is that the max hip measurement you'd need to get down to is 35 inches and the maximum weight for models 5'8" and taller according to industry standards is 125 pounds. Am I mentioning this to discourage you? Not at all. I do, however, want to make sure that you know what you're getting into beforehand and to approach this challenge the smart way.

NYC is the harshest market in the United States, which means they won't be very forgiving if you don't meet their standards. It is good, though, that you sent out your photos just to see what would happen. There's no harm in that. If you haven't heard back from any of them after about 3 months, then it's safe to say they aren't interested at the moment.

You should never see any of this as a waste of your time--you're taking a chance and seeing what could happen and there's nothing wrong with that in the slightest. Worst case scenario, you can switch to a Plan B, which would be to send your pictures in to NYC agencies that have commercial/print divisions. These types of agencies are much more flexible in their size and measurement requirements and have no problem representing taller models.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035