Answering a Reader Question #447

Nika Wrote:

Okay this is my last question for the night! I've been fighting with this hair thing. I haven't decided how I am going to wear my hair in the photos I want to submit to agencies. I am natural. I know they typically like to see hair worn off the face. Should I just wear my hair in a bun or puff for the photo? I would prefer to wear my fro but know I might encountner some prejudice. I'd hate to have to straighten my hair for the photos as that isn't me. What are your thoughts?

Hi, Nika!

Lol, no worries!

You should wear your hair how you normally would on a daily/regular basis. So if you always sport an afro, that's what you should submit. As long as it's out of your face, that's all that matters. Contrary to popular belief, in the print world, it's all about "natural" looking models, especially when it comes to ethnic women and men...clients love it.

So you don't have to straighten your hair or make it appear something other than what it really is. That's the beauty of commercial/print and lifestyle: there is always a demand for different looks. I can't tell you how many 'fros, braids and other "natural ethnic" hairstyles I've seen on models at castings and go-sees.

So feel free to be you!

Comments

  1. Hi Dania first of all just wanted to say you have an amazing blog, its really great! So my friend is taking a couple of photos of me tomorrow to send in to modeling agencies. I'm a girl 5'4 1/2 almost 5'5 and was wondering what type of modeling would be best for me? Also my chest is a 32 b, does size chest matter a lot? Oh and I'm 16 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Anonymous! You'll find the answer to your question in its own post, titled "Answering a Reader Question #450." Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035