Answering a Reader Question #635

Anonymous Wrote:

Hey there! I want to start modeling and just want to know if I get a tattoo on my back, will it limit me in my career? About medium size? If it's on my back does it really matter? Please help xx :)

Hi, Anonymous!

While I won't say that getting a tattoo will make modeling impossible for you, I am a firm believer that not having any tattoos or avoiding large ones in visible areas will make you more appealing to an agency. Agencies prefer no tattoos but make exceptions depending on the size, location, what type of tattoo it is, etc.

Where on your back would the tattoo appear and what would it be of? Even if it's on your back in general, think about the types of clothing you would wear if you were, for instance, going into fashion/runway modeling. Swimwear, evening gowns and certain types of blouses show a lot of skin, including the back. Having a medium sized tattoo would definitely show and require body makeup to conceal it.

I would recommend getting into modeling by signing with an agency first and then ask them for their opinion about the type of tattoo you are thinking about getting. If you are serious about pursuing modeling, make that a priority first to get your foot in the door. Usually it's easier to deal with the tattoo subject if you're already a working model with an agency, as opposed to being a newbie with a tattoo that might prevent you from getting an agent in the first place.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the advice! I've been torn on whether to get it or not.
    This tattoo means a lot too me, it's of a barn owl and i've been wanting to get it since forever. I live on a farm where we have a whole family of owls, and sadly it seems we will have to move away quite soon. The tattoo is a symbol of my love for the owls and this beautiful place I live on.. Sorry for all that random information lol =p I was hoping to get it at least the size of an A5 paper or smaller. But I don't want to ruin my chances of modeling. I'll take your advice and rather wait. Although would you reckon I could cover it with make up or is that still too risky?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I forgot to mention there that the owl would be mostly water color, which means the light color could easily match my skin tone. And hide easier under make up... There's only a light black outline. No big inky blotches

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're very welcome! Thanks for trusting me to share that info with and don't worry, all that you told me helps me to better understand your situation.

    I still advise waiting until you get signed to an agency before getting the tattoo (which I think sounds lovely, especially the story behind what it symbolizes). It is good that you plan on getting it in a lighter shade and not too bold--this is something you will want to upsell to your agent to help them give you the green light to get the tattoo.

    So definitely make sure to mention that once you feel you're ready to get it and are at a point where you can discuss this matter with whatever agency you end up being represented by. Either way I wish you the best of luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok sounds like a good idea! Thank's again :)

      Kind regards from me all the way from Cape Town, South Africa =)

      Delete
  4. You are super welcome! Wow, South Africa, how cool! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035