Answering a Reader Question #609

Vee Wrote:

Hi Dania, I'm 23 and I started modeling at 22. I'm in Boston right now but looking to go to NYC. I look 19 and I'm 5'11. I've been told to model my whole life, but never got around to it because of school/sports/etc. Is it too late for runway?

Hi, Vee!

NYC is one of the toughest markets to get into but the fact that you have some experience could work in your favor. It would be different if you were going into New York with zero experience at all at age 23.

Starting in your 20s is considered "late" in the industry--mainly for runway--but it is still worth attending casting calls and seeing what feedback you get from the agencies in NYC. Like I said, your previous experience might make you an exception to the rule.

Worst case scenario, you'd be brought onto their commercial/print division, which would still be good because you'd have representation (many agencies/clients use fashion height models for print work these days). In some cases, agencies submit their models for work in other divisions if they feel they'd be a good fit so there is the chance that you might get to do fashion and runway if you happen to get signed to a print agency.

You never know unless you try so I say go for it...attend casting calls in NYC and if you get signed, awesome! If not, go to plan B and submit to print agencies in the area and let them know you're also interested and available for fashion work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035