Answering a Reader Question #417

N. Pedro Wrote:


Dania, this is N. Pedro again, the brazilian guy from Boston. I am a new model, and im almost done with a new portfolio. On this new portfolio, Im intending to put lifestyles pictures, wearing glasses, hair, body, face, editorial, and also i guess IM going to put some private pictures. what do you think? im doing something like a booklet, and im going to try to send them to all the agencies im trusting. so i already have a good material, PLUS im updating my compcard. -- Do you think will i be better for me sending them a lot types of pictures, different styles, private ones? Diversity.

Other question, Im 116lb 53kg - 5'8 172cm. -- Waist 26.. Am I ok or you think the agencies will just ignore me because of my weight?

Thanks


N. Pedro Also Wrote:

Dania. How modeling outside of US work? I mean, Id have to send my portfolio to them? to other countries or my agency here in the US would be responsible for taking care of it?
 

Thanks

Hi, N. Pedro!

To be honest, it is unfortunate that you put so much effort into a portfolio/booklet filled with diverse images. In my first blog reply to you, I explained that new models do not need professional photos and that if they are trying to find a modeling agent, the best way to do this is to follow the submission instructions that is given on each agency's official websites.

Remember the list of agency names and websites that I gave you in my other post? What you must do is visit each one of those websites and read what the instructions are for how you can be considered. The next step would be to put together your submission according to what each agency asks for. Because not all agencies ask for the same materials, you may have to put together more than one type of submission.

Below are my reasons as to why your method is not recommend for seeking agencies:
  • Agencies list instructions on their websites for how new models should submit for a reason--it is so they can streamline the process and evaluate each person's materials more easily. If they specifically ask for certain types of photos and you give them something completely different, your submission will be automatically rejected.
  • Following agency instructions is the first step as to whether or not a person would not just be a good model but a good professional. If you can't follow the basic instructions they list on their website, it doesn't make a good first impression.
  • Giving agencies random photos you've taken will almost always result in deletion/rejection. Many agencies even state on their websites that if you don't give them the materials they ask for, they won't even look at what you've sent.
  • In many cases, agencies won't end up using the professional images you've sent them. If they don't like the quality or don't think it's the right kind to market you, they will make you start all over and do new pictures once you are signed. This is why agencies stress sending non professional, digital snapshots and not professional images, mainly if you're a new model. Once you get signed, your agent will help you put together your portfolio shoot according to what they want.
Too many times I've seen new models jump the gun and put so much time, money (in some cases) and effort into professional pictures, thinking that these are what is going to impress the agency. What ends up happening is their photos are rejected, as well as their submission because they didn't keep it simple and submit snapshots, which are the strongest submission materials/photos a new model can have.

I would advise not sending your booklet to the list of agencies I gave you. Please read the instructions listed on each agency's website and send the specific photos they want.

I don't think you need to worry about your weight and other stats. In your case, it will be more about your overall physical look. It would be different if you were pursuing fashion or runway, where your measurements play more of a factor but you'll be pursuing commercial/print, parts modeling, etc.

To answer your other question...if you already have an agent in the United States and are interested in working in other countries for modeling, that would be something you'd have to talk to your agent about. If they have experience with placing models in other countries for work, they will be the one to guide you through this process and will contact the agencies in other countries with your portfolio and information on your behalf.

If you don't have an agent and want to submit to agencies in other countries on your own, you would have to submit your photos, info and materials online via their website or email. However, if they invite you for an interview, you will have to pay for your plane tickets, hotel stay and transportation to get there. Agencies do not cover such costs during the interview stage.

Comments

  1. Hi Dania, my friend and I applied to the same agency around the same time. She got signed and I didn't. I'm happy for her but what makes her so marketable? She emailed me her online portfolio and the pictures are just ok not spectacular. I don't mean to be jealous but I admit I am. I was wondering if you could look at her portfolio and tell me what makes her look so special. What could I do to increase my marketability I would be commercial print and lifestyle too. Here's the link: nymmg.com/eportfolio.cfm?mid=124302


    nymmg.com/eportfolio.cfm?mid=124302

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Anonymous! You'll find the answer to your question in its own post, titled "Answering a Reader Question #418." Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035