Answering a Reader Question #413

Anonymous Wrote:


Hey Dania!

I really want to go to New York and go to some agency open calls to try and get signed but I'm afraid they will all reject me because my height. Im 18 years old and 5'7. My measurements are on point 34-24-34 and I weigh 110. I honestly appear taller than I am but I know top agencies minimum height is 5'8 and some are even 5'9 now. I know their are exceptions in modeling for girls a little shorter in high fashion but I was wondering if their are exceptions for runway? Do you think I will have a chance at Ford, IMG, Elite, Women, Next, Marilyn, Supreme, New York, Trump, One, or Major? I know some of those do not have open calls but what agencies will be more open to having a model that has all the requirements except is 5'7? I don't want to waste my time going there if all the agencies are going to automatically reject me because my height. I also on the other hand will regret it if I don't go and try. Can you give me some advice? 


Hey, Anonymous! New York is a monster when it comes to modeling. I say that because when it comes to runway, this particular market maintains the strictest requirements and exceptions to the rule are few and far in between.

5'7" models get rejected all the time by big agencies like the ones you mentioned just because of that one inch difference. This is especially the case for runway and if that's the one area you're interested in pursuing, I can tell you now that obtaining agency representation in New York for runway at your height will be extremely difficult--not impossible--but not easy, either.

Runway maintains its strict height requirements because while photographing tall, even if you're shorter, is fairly easy to get away with, you really can't fudge your height in a live runway show. While wearing super high heels will make you taller, the other models that are naturally super tall already will also be wearing super high heels--either way, you'd stand out as the shorty.

Soooo...after saying all that, here is my bottom line advice for you:

- Submit to agencies with commercial/print divisions--this is the type of modeling your height realistically makes you eligible for.

- Just so you cover all your bases, attend the open calls for the fashion/runway agencies in New York just to see what happens and what feedback you get. You know what the worst case scenario will be so at least you'll be prepared for rejection based on your height alone. While it isn't fun to hear "No," you have to hear it from the agencies in order to move on and be assured that you at least know you tried.

Best of luck to you!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035