Answering a Reader Question #647

GlitzStar10 Wrote:

Theres this agency called MMG Models and i send them some snapshots.They send me an email letting me know that they wanted to meet with me and my parents since am underage (16). I went to the meeting with my mom and she was talking about the process and in which catergy i would fall into (teens). And the woman said that since i was just beginning and didn't have any pictures i have to built my profolio and that she had 2 Photographers that each cost more than $1,000 she said i could pick between those two but she never gave me a contract to sign. I told her we would think about it and at the end i told her no. Do you think i made a mistake or was that agency a scam ?! 

Hi, GlitzStar10!

Based on what you've told me, I don't think you made a mistake. Asking you to pay that much money for portfolio pictures, especially without offering you a contract first, is a big red flag. I've been getting emails from aspiring models about offers from MMG Models lately so you're not the only one who has been in contact with them.

From my research, it seems that for some models they cover the portfolio costs while they require others to cover the expenses. Those models had contract offers, however.

I think you did right in walking away in this particular situation. There are plenty of other agencies in the NYC area that will not ask you to pay ridiculous upfront fees like those. BTW: I did receive your email and will be answering that after I publish this post. :-)

Comments

  1. I am signed with MMG and it is such a waste of time. They told me about their ridiculous photo package but that was after a contract was offered. In fact when I met with them they wanted me to take the contract home and look it over for a few days before signing with them. In retrospect I knew paying $1420 for pictures was outrageous but I was so happy someone took an interest in me and really eager to start working. Before I paid the price I did desperately try to find other quality photographers in the NYC area. I even asked other models who they shot with but they never got back to me. I've been with them for a year and haven't been sent out on anything. It's strange because I get castings and auditions from this website: http://www.theagencyonline.com/home.php. This proves to me that clients clearly like my look if they're calling me in for castings and auditions. I've even gotten some tear sheets on my own, so clearly people in the industry like my ugly face lol. MMG also charges $425 to be on there website is that normal? Also a portion of the $425 includes digital submissions? Is it normal to pay to be submitted? When a model is with a legit agency how much work should they be doing? How much work should the agency be doing to obtain jobs? I feel I am doing too much. At one point I wanted to re test again because my book was looking stale and boring. I emailed my manager back forth for a month to find a photographer we could agree on. We finally settled on one, because I refuse to pay $1425 again especially when they haven't sent me out, and she later tells me she didn't add the pictures to my book because she ended up not liking them after all. This was during a face to face meeting.On the inside I was pissed because it's like why would you agree for me to shoot with someone and then not use the pictures. I am constantly emailing them and I will admit I know I am really annoying, but it's only because I want this so bad. I am not understating the need to be proactive but I feel I shouldn't be finding and submitting myself to 100% of the castings and auditions I am getting. As you know whether they want to book me is a completely different story. How would you classify this "agency"? Are they a portfolio mill I am unsure if they're that because I know ppl with them who get work. It's just I am not getting work with them. This situation is frustrating however I can't and won't let it get me down. My plan of action is to find a quality test photographer with reasonable prices and pursue better agencies in the NYC area. I would love to sign with Bella Models. I am curious as to how you would classify MMG? What do you feel should be my plan of action to get my career back on track? Also I am curious I know years prior you were signed with ford what about that experience was so bad? Did they ever send on castings? Do you know why you didn't book work with them. I'm too knew to the industry to pursue freelancing like you did. Any advice would help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Anonymous!

    You'll find the answers to your questions in its own post, titled "Answering a Reader Question #649." Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035