Answering a Reader Question #644

Lindsay Wrote:

Hi I'm Lindsay! It's my absolute dream to model for vs! Many people and modeling scoots for smaller angency have said you can be a model. And I pretty much believe them . I'm 14 years old . I'm 5'6 ... Hopefully still growing! And I've been told I have an exotic face . I'm not super skinny or fat either. I have curves my measurements are 32-25-35 . My mom wants to put me in modeling school but I don't think that it's a good idea . Right now I'm working on my portfolio so I can get pics to send to people I guess. So anyways I have 4 questions
1. Do I seem like I have a good chance of being a vs model?
2. Should I go to modeling school or should I try to "get discovered?
3.do you think I will be at least 5'8 by the time I'm 18?
Is there any like ways I can grow taller ?
4. How do I convince my mom that I'm serious about modeling ? 


Hi there, Lindsay!

Here are the answers to your questions (thanks for numbering them, it makes it much easier to answer!):

1. Currently you don't because you are a) too young and b) not tall enough. You'll have to wait until you turn 18 to see if you meet the VS requirements at that time, especially for the height part. So there's nothing you can do right now as far as figuring out if you could do VS.

2. No modeling schools! They are not necessary and agencies don't like having to retrain someone who might not have been taught what the agency prefers. New and inexperienced models are trained by their agencies for free. Previous modeling experience is not mandatory in order to submit yourself for agency representation. Sending in digital snapshots and/or attending open calls is enough to get your foot in the door.

3. The only person that can estimate how tall you could end up being by the time you're 18 is your doctor. They'll be able to view your family's medical history, see if height runs in your family and can give you a better idea of how tall you'll grow to be so make an appointment to find out that info.

4. Here is a link to a blog post I wrote that could help you with your mom: The Parents

BTW: You don't need a portfolio of pictures to send to agencies if you're a new model starting out. Agency websites state directly that they prefer non professional, digital snapshots and not professional ones. Not giving them the types of photos they ask for could get your submission deleted because you didn't follow directions.

At your age and height, you're ideal for commercial/print and teen modeling so what you'll want to do is look online for the websites of agencies that represent either or both of these types of models. Make sure the agencies are located no farther than a 2 hour's drive from where you live. Don't take any pictures or do anything until you've looked at each agency's website and find out what their submission instructions are. Not all agencies ask for the same types of photos.

Once you know what each one wants, then start taking your digital snapshots and sending your submissions out. As you get older and if you do end up getting taller, then you can move on to doing fashion modeling but for now getting into modeling will be more of a reality for you by starting off with print or teen modeling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035