Answering a Reader Question #636

Anonymous Wrote:

I've been doing a little modeling over the last year and I was approached by a photographer to do a car shoot. I've never modeled with cars and almost every picture that I look up ends up looking more for Men's magazines. What would you suggest as far as posing with cars and not looking sexual? 

Hi, Anonymous!

When it comes to cars and women posing on them, sex appeal is the ultimate goal. Have you looked at the photographer's portfolio to see if he's shot models posing with cars before? If so, are all of them sexual in nature? It is important to do research on any photographer that you are thinking about working with. Aside from checking out his portfolio, it is a good idea to talk to him (email, on the phone, in person at a public place during the day) to find out what ideas he has for the shoot.

Would he be okay with you being more on the safe side with posing with the cars or is he expecting the standard sexy type of shoot? Knowing what his expectations are in advance will help you ultimately decide whether or not this is a project you want to be a part of.

It's perfectly acceptable to turn down a project that you don't feel comfortable with. However, if you are interested in doing it without compromising yourself, maybe you can work around the issue by wearing an outfit that isn't so racy. For example, most car model shoots involve the model wearing a bikini or lingerie. Maybe instead of that, you could wear a sexy dress or short shorts and a tank top or other cute blouse with heels.

Posing with cars without looking overtly sexual is possible, however. Here are some photo examples I was able to find (I don't know what your definition of "too sexy" is but these are ones I felt were something you could show to anyone without feeling embarrassed)...some of these photos were taken during car shows and not an actual shoot but these poses can easily be crossed over and used in a photoshoot:
Overall I would recommend talking with the photographer to see what he's looking for and seeing if it lines up with what you'd be comfortable doing as far as poses go.

Comments

  1. I had previously talked to him about it and he doesn't have any in his port that I saw. It's being done in the small town I live in which is why I'd like to be less sexy. I already talked about needed information like wardrobe (shorts, tank top, heels or short dress) and poses some but I had trouble finding many examples on my own that weren't focused on sexuality. It was very helpful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome and I wish you the best of luck with the shoot! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035