Answering a Reader Question #580

Marie Wrote:

Hello :) First off your blog is awesome and incredibly helpful :D I'm so grateful that you take out the time to help all of the aspiring models out there (including me!)My name is Marie and I am an aspiring model. I am 15 1/2 years old and 5' 8". I weigh 120 lbs and my measurements are 35"-23"-36". I am African-American with a bit of French and Native American mixed in as well (with a skin tone similar to Gabrielle Union). My hair is very curly and a little past my shoulders in its natural state but about three inches from my elbows when straightened. I have always wanted to be a model from as far back as I can remember. I want to take a chance and move out to New York when I graduate at 17 and try to apply for Ford and Elite, but my parents want me to go to college. My idea was to go to college in New York and try to model at the same time but is that even possible? Do I even have a chance? Also I would like to lose about 10 pounds to increase my chances of getting chosen for modeling jobs. Do you have any tips?

Hi, Marie!

Thanks for the wonderful words about my blog, much appreciated! I try to do what I can. :-)

Going to college and modeling part-time is not only possible, it is what many people do, male and female alike. Agencies work with students all the time and understand that education plays an important role, especially for young people. As long as you let agencies know that you're in school or have plans to attend college, they'll already know what to expect.

Once you get representation and begin college, just make sure your agent has a copy of your class schedule or is aware of what days and time frames you aren't available. They'll do their best to accommodate, especially if they really like your look and know you'd do well.

Here's a link to a blog post I wrote about this topic that should help you out:

Modeling & School

As far as losing weight, 125 lbs is the maximum preferred in the industry so as long as you don't go over that, you'll be okay. Your hips are one inch larger than the maximum though. Below are is a link that might help you with slimming down in a natural and healthy way:

How to Lose Inches Off Your Waist Fast (LIVESTRONG)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035