Answering a Reader Question #565

Shelby Pickens Wrote:

Hi Ms. Dania! My name is Shelby Pickens. I'm 5 foot 8 and ever since I was little I have always wanted to become a model. I have went to three different agencies and all three have offered me a contract. I've even had an offer from hollister but I was only 16 and couldn't execpt the offer:(. I found that one agency was a scam so naturally I declined. The other teo seem more realistic considering I had a Ford model sitting next to me! I'm currently affiliated wit a company in Cincinatti but I have yet to book an actual job. I am on their website but I'm not signing a contract just yet. I live in a small town, one of the smallest in Ohio. I know my portfolio isn't the strongest but I feel like I can't build it unless I can book a job. I also want to keep moving up. could you help me find out how to find out about how to find jobs? Sorry for the small novel! lol

Hi, Shelby!

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a bit of ups and downs with finding a good agency in your area. Have you looked into doing test shoots with various local photographers in order to build your portfolio and diversify it? I would suggest starting there since you mentioned that your portfolio isn't the strongest. Setting up test shoots, which are free to do, would be a cost effective way to show potential clients the types of work you're interested in. You don't necessarily have to book an actual job to have that "proof" in your modeling book.

Facebook is a good resource to start when it comes to looking for photographers to shoot with. Oftentimes, they'll post a link to their official website where you can view their work, find out if they accept test shoots, etc. Of course only go for photographers whose work is strong and reflects the type of modeling you're marketing yourself towards (i.e. don't choose a photographer that specializes in glamour if you want to do fashion work...you'd want to look for fashion photographers).

Oftentimes photographers will do a free test shoot with models whose look they really like and know could benefit their own portfolio so it never hurts to reach out and send a message on FB, email or call them directly to inquire about it.

There are also sites like Model Mayhem (www.modelmayhem.com), which is a social networking site for the modeling community. It's free to join and is a good tool for finding the profiles and portfolios of photographers in and around your area. If you're interested in finding your own modeling work also, then Model Mayhem can also help you with that, as far as freelancing goes. They have a Casting section that's free for members to use and you can search for paid and non-paid projects according to city and state.

So tap into Facebook and Model Mayhem as starting points and see what results you're able to turn up from there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035