Answering a Reader Question #563

Annie Wrote:

Hi Dania,

I'm a a few months close on turning 17, standing at 5'9 with a measurements of 34-23-34.5. I'm full Southeast Asian, but I get comments asking if I'm Italian, Mexican, Brazilian (sometimes). My Mom is mixed Chinese, while my dad is mixed Indian. I got the Indian features but with a lighter (more paler, olive) skin tone. The problem is I live in Philippines. And I wear braces. I would love to be a VS model, and get signed by IMG but is it possible to achieve it even I'm here? My plans first is to get signed with an agency here in Manila, Philippines. Elite Manila is on my mind, but are they really connected to Elite NY? But I would love to know what your recommendations are for Philippines? My next move would be IMG Hong Kong (Are they connected as well?) and maybe my chances for IMG NY would be better. Please give me your agency recommendations and I would love to know your opinions and what you think about my plans.

-Annie 


Hi, Annie!

How long until you get your braces removed? You'll want to wait until you get them off before submitting to agencies since it will improve your chances of getting representation, especially if VS is a goal for you.

I would suggest starting off by submitting yourself to Elite in Manila. In most cases, agencies with international offices are all connected, which is the main reason why they open locations in other countries. It gives them a larger base of models to work with and allows them to network with each other. So getting signed to Elite in Manila should improve your chances of getting to work in New York with the Elite office there. But you have to perform well and communicate with your agent there to let them know of your interest in working in the U.S.

IMG is another highly reputable, international fashion agency and the same goes for their connections with the New York office as I described above with Elite. However, since Manila is closer, you should submit to them first, then try for IMG in Hong Kong. However, only submit to IMG in Hong Kong if you are able to relocate there for work.

Getting signed to either one will be great for your modeling career and after 1-2 years of working and gaining experience, if your agent feels confident in your look and abilities, they'll make the arrangements necessary to get you to New York.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035