Answering a Reader Question #508

Anonymous Wrote:

Hi Dania, I am recently 'working' with a huge agency in NY. They met with me and said they wanted to do a test shoot. Two months later I did the shoot. I didn't get the pictures back until a month. My supposed agent said she loved my look. Then the owner of the agency emailed my father and said that they were just going to put me on the website and send my pictures to bookers, but to not come in for a while. Is this yet another hoop I have to jump through? Don't you think I should be signed with them already!!!! Urgh I just hate waiting.

Hey, Anonymous!

It does sound like another hoop. I know waiting is the toughest and definitely not fun, especially since you've already gone through so much and are receiving positive feedback. Agencies in markets like NY get bombarded with new faces all the time and they have to feel confident that once officially signed, the models will book work. So this "hoop jumping" phase is like being on probation. If bookers and clients express interest in you, that is what will seal the deal with the agency and get you the contract.

However, if no one bites after your pictures have been in circulation for a while, it's a sign to the agency that while they love your look, it's not what is in demand at the moment. Obviously, that means no contract. It's not fun to be in limbo but understand that taking on new models is a huge business risk for agencies because there's no exact formula for success--either clients love the models or they don't. This is their way of doing their homework and testing the waters. It would be worse if you got the contract and then didn't get called for any castings or go-sees, which would eventually lead to the agency releasing you from the contract.

So--hard as it is--trust in the agency's business savvy and let the process work its magic. Hopefully there will be interest and a contract there to reward you for your efforts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035