Answering a Reader Question #499

Anonymous Wrote:

Hey, Dania!
Great post! It helped boost my confidence a tad bit! :)
As others have done, I'll give you a tidbit about myself in hopes to get your feedback.
A few years back, when I was 16, I went to a model search (which was with a very well-known agency) and gained a callback and was told I had raw potential.
Now that same agency is actually have a "fashion show/homecoming party" in my area and I'm pending on purchasing tickets as you get to meet designers, models, the agency, etc. I guess this is a little bit my way of wanting to be "found" and this time pursue, if able, a career.

As stated, I'm nineteen years old and am approximately 5'7.5". I'm not sure if my age or what not would be the end of this dream or if it's something I should at least give a shot.

Also, would there be any pointers to help me "stand out" if I did go to the fashion show/party?

Thank you!


Hey, Anonymous!

You should definitely go to the party. It's all about networking and would be a great way to hobnob with the agency folks and hopefully make a business connection that could possibly lead to representation. So make sure you go! :-)

As far as standing out, choose your wardrobe wisely. Pick something that is flattering to your figure and shows off your shape. Since this isn't a traditional agency open call, you don't have to stick to the "model uniform" of dark skinny jeans, heels and a fitted tanktop. A fashionable, form fitting dress that shows off your legs with a pair of heels would be more than enough. Of course make sure the style and length of the dress (if you choose to wear a dress) is appropriate and not too over the top. The outfit should accentuate your appearance, not take away from it.

At your age, starting a career in modeling isn't far-fetched. Many fashion agencies set their age cut off at 20-21 (a few at 22) so I think you would be okay. You are a smidgen shy of the minimum height for fashion and runway but if the agency thinks you have a great look, they'll just round up, lol.

Either way, have a great time, be sociable and not afraid to introduce yourself to people. If you happen to get business cards, follow up within 1-2 days to let them know how nice it was to meet them at the party and to keep in touch.

Hopefully the experience will lead to possible representation for you. If not, you should still pursue modeling by finding other agencies in your area to submit your photos and information to. Please let me know how it goes if you do attend the party!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035