Answering a Reader Question #506

Nichole Wrote:

I've been modeling for 8 months. I'm starting to get some recognition in the industry round my city. I've been given the chance to attend a tent show in New York. I wanted to know if 24 is to late to go on castings in New York while I'm there. Should I say I'm younger since I look that way.

Hi, Nichole!

I'm assuming you're talking about casting calls for modeling agencies? If so, it will be a matter of what types of agencies you're considering. At your age, you're ideal for lifestyle and commercial/print modeling, which is for models ages 24-25 and older.

A majority of New York fashion and runway agencies set their age cut-off at 21 or 22. The stricter ones set it at 19-20! It's important to know that upfront. For an agency of this kind to take you on for fashion and runway work at your age would be rare but not impossible. Each agency has its methods for who they consider as an exception to the rule so it's not completely out of the question.

Your plan A should be to attend castings for fashion and runway agencies in New York and see what happens. Should you get no interest, then plan B would be to submit to agencies in the area that represent lifestyle and/or commercial/print models.

Don't lie about your age because that's something that can be easily checked/verified. It works in your favor that you look younger so use that to your advantage when attending agency castings and simply avoid stating/volunteering your real age unless someone asks you.

If you're not talking about agency castings and are instead talking about castings for actual modeling gigs/assignments, I would say go for it. What have you got to lose? It'd be worse to just not go at all and wonder, "What If?" Similar to what I mentioned before, don't volunteer your age unless it's necessary or if you get asked. If the client really likes you, chances are they won't care about your age as long as your look works for their needs.

Good luck with the tent show!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035