Answering a Reader Question #852

ksbirish Wrote:

I read your description of mother agencies, and it seems the way to go for me, at least for now. I was thinking this before I saw your blog. My problem is that I cannot seem to find any in my area. There don't seem to be "magic" keywords to find them on places such as Google. 
Do you know how I might find mother agencies in Oregon, for example, around the Portland area? Do you know of any? I understand you might not be able to recommend any but just their name, or something about them for searching purposes, would be a great start.
Thank you for your time,
kelly

Hey, ksbirish!

Many modeling agencies don't say outright that they are mother agencies on their websites. Some common clues that usually mean they are include keywords/phrases like, "placement," "we place our models with top agencies nationally and internationally," "develop models locally and globally," etc. You can usually find this information in the "About Us" section of the site.

While I usually do not recommend calling an agency directly, in this case I think it would be perfectly fine to call and simply ask if they are a mother agency. You don't have to give them your name and back story, keep it short and to the point. Just ask if they are a mother agency and if so, thank them for their time and mention that you will then submit according to their website instructions.

Since you already know that the websites have guidelines on how to submit, I don't think you should ask the receptionist how to submit. They'll just tell you to go to the website. The main information you want to know is if they are a mother agency so once you have your answer, thank them and then end the call so you can go about preparing your submission accordingly. I hope that makes sense?

What I would do to find a list of agencies is Google the following keywords: Portland Oregon modeling agencies. I just did that a few minutes ago and got a list of the websites of agencies in that immediate area. Check out each agency's website and see if they make any mention of placing models in other markets. Even if they don't, I think you should still call them so you can get a definitive answer from each one and will know for sure which ones to submit to.

Below are the names of the agencies in Portland, OR that I saw wording for that leads me to believe they operate in a mother agency capacity:

Muse Models

Q6 Model & Artist Management

Savage Models & Management (they say they have an international presence but I don't know if that means they place models internationally or if they have international clients)

Hope that helps and best of luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035