Answering a Reader Question #839

Alora Gress Wrote:

Hi Dania I'm 26 years old and know I'm too old for fashion modeling. I'm wondering for commercial modeling when I search on VISION or FORD or just about any other well known agencies site for casting calls I don't notice where the commercial vs fashion/runway is specified. Is this because these agencies don't do commercial? I'm just confused because I know someone who signed with FORD in LA at 26 years old and she went on to book jobs. Also I get confused when I see models who my age and similar measurements, who are signed to major agencies are these models considered high fashion or commercial? For example Sara Sampaio. 

I'm 5' 8' 3/4 
34
26
36 
I weigh 130 but my total body fat is only 16% and I don't work out so if they wanted I'm sure I could lose 10-15lbs quickly. I'm a size 2-4 and have been told I should model for years. Also I'm mixed so I look like I'm 21 not 26.

Hi Alora!

A lot of fashion agencies in major modeling markets do represent commercial models but instead of going for the shorter, more traditional types of print models, they use their fashion models whose physical look can easily crossover into the print world. Essentially, by doing this they are killing two birds with one stone.

There are some fashion agencies that have their own version of commercial modeling that includes models who are past the typical age (it's sort of like their own version of lifestyle modeling). Sometimes on the website the division will have the word "plus" in it or the + symbol. This usually means "plus" like "older/mature models," not "plus" like "plus size".

In other instances those models have been signed to the agency for a few years so they are kept on the roster because of their demand. When a model is making an agency money, it's no problem for them to keep someone for a long time.

There are a number of reasons why agencies operate the way they do when it comes to this type of situation. I say attend the open calls and see what kind of feedback/response you get. There's no harm in going, even if it's only for them to say "no" or to come back at a later time if they want you to work on your measurements.

So I say start submitting yourself, attend open calls and use that as a starting point in pursuing modeling. Best of luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035