Answering a Reader Question #844

Amanda Appels Wrote:

Hi there!
I am 17 and live about 40 minutes from NYC. For months I have been trying to get signed with an agency through everything from online submissions to open calls. Some agencies expressed interest, but didn't contact me after the until meeting. A few weeks ago, I tagged some of my Instagram photos to IMGs we love your genes hashtag. Yesterday Social New York contacted me and asked for an email which I provided. After asking a few basic questions about me, they set up a visit for me to meet with them next week. The email was verified by the contact info on the website and from my research it LOOKS like a legitimate mother agency, but I can't be sure. It is even listed under models.com as a mother agency which I took as a good sign but I want to be cautious. Do you have any experience with Social or know of them? If they offer me a contract, in your opinion, would it be a good idea for me to take it?
Thank you,
Amanda

Hi Amanda,

I don't know or work with anyone at Social New York but from what I was able to research, they seem to check out as being legitimate.

The only way to know for sure is to review whatever contract they offer you. They should allow you to take the contract home to review on your own. You'll want to read it through very carefully. Find out the following:

1) How long is the contract term for? 1 year? 2 years? 3 years? Longer?

2) Is it Exclusive or Non-Exclusive?

3) How much is the commission?

4) What is the "Exit Clause"? In other words, if you wanted out before the term is up, what are the guidelines/steps you need to follow and how long do you need to stay in the contract before you can get out of it early?

It is also important to ask when you meet with the agency again what kinds of costs/expenses will be incurred on your end and what do they cover, if anything? This is especially vital when it comes to traveling out-of-state or internationally.

Your decision should depend on the answers to those questions and your overall "gut feeling" when it comes to how you feel around the agency staff. Do they treat you nicely? Are they genuinely interested in answering your questions and concerns thoroughly?

If you feel good about everything afterwards and if no other offers are on the table, it would be worth taking a shot to see how things work out with this agency.

Best of luck!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035