Answering a Reader Question #594

E Wrote:

Hi Dania,

First off, thanks for all the tips and information you share! This blog is amazing :)

I finally made up my mind and will go to my first open call at the age of 24 (I hope I'm not too late!) and being 6 feet tall, I wonder if I should just stick to heels that are 3-inches high max or is 4 more of a standard? The higher it is, the longer and thinner it makes your leg look after all. Also, does it matter if it's open toe or pointed or etc. I want to leave a very good first impression so I'm getting lost in details :)

Thanks so much!

E


Hey, E!

You're very welcome, glad the info has been of help to you!

Since you're already tall, 3 inches will be plenty. Style doesn't matter so much and it's not like agencies are going to be judging you based on the footwear. As long as the color and style is neutral and not super distracting, you'll be fine. They should be paying attention to you, not your shoes! :-)

At your age, however, I will tell you that you'd be considered too "old" for traditional runway and fashion modeling by a majority of agency standards (not all but many). You are the right age for lifestyle modeling though. Lifestyle modeling is a category of commercial/print modeling but is for models that are 24 or 25 years of age and older.

The majority of fashion agencies set the age maximum at 21, very few at 22. With lifestyle and commercial/print, the age range is very flexible. I still believe you should attend the open call because that's something you need to experience but just be prepared for the possibility of being told an agency can't take you on for their fashion or runway division because of your age.

I would love if they made you an exception to the rule but I do want to make sure you know the realities of the situation so that regardless of the outcome, you'll be able to walk away with no regrets. If things don't work out with the fashion agencies, I recommend submitting yourself to agencies that represent commercial/print and/or lifestyle models.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035