Answering a Reader Question #588

Frida Wrote:

I've always been interested in doing modeling and I've been told I have the looks, height ect for it. But not long ago I got to know that I was supposed to have gotten braces when I turned 15 but at that time we were moving abroad and my parents forgot about it. I'm 19 now and I've had braces since the beginning of this year (they'll come off when I'm 21). I can see how this could be a huge problem if I'd like to start modeling, so I don't know what I should do. I appreciate any advice I can get!

oh and btw, I look younger than I am I've realized from several comments I've gotten. Some months ago I was in a fashion store and since they were advertising their new club card I asked about it and the lady looked at me and said: "You need to be 16 to become a member." That was almost offensive, I'm 19! xD :)


Hi, Frida!

While having braces (mainly the traditional kind) might cause you some challenges with finding agency representation, the best thing you can do is submit your snapshots to agencies and attend open calls if they are available. That is honestly the only way to find out what your chances would be.

It's good that you look younger than you are and 19 is still well within the age requirements of fashion and runway agencies so that works in your favor. Since you just got your braces earlier this year and will have them for a while, that could possibly work for you instead of against you because if you do get representation, at least the agency knows they have a few years until they have to deal with retaking your headshots and updating your portfolio once the braces get removed.

At this point, look up the websites of fashion/runway agencies within a 2 hour's drive from where you live and find out what their instructions for submission are. Make sure to follow each website's instructions. Set aside the time to put together quality, non professional, digital snapshots--not professional pictures. Unless the site specifically asks for only professional images, you need to stick to snapshots.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035