Answering a Reader Question #666

Anonymous Wrote:

Hi Dania. My 16 year old daughter has been offered a three year exclusive modeling contract. Most of the contract seems to be pretty typical. But I'm not sure if this is typical: the "manager" can terminate the agreement early without penalty, while my daughter would incur penalties - $2,500 if she terminates within the first year, $5,000 in the second and $7,500 in the third. Does that seem typical/appropriate to you? Or should that raise red flags?

Thanks!


Hi, Anonymous!

Ooooh, I don't like that part of the contract at all and it does raise red flags for me. I know that not all modeling contracts are the same and are tailored for each business but I have had several agents over the course of my career and have signed my fair share of contracts and not one of them has ever penalized the talent/model for wanting to terminate the agreement.

The most common clause I've seen in virtually every modeling contract I've come across basically says that "either party can terminate the contract at any time, for any reason with appropriate written notification..." The only extension of that clause is if a model terminates the contract but still owes the agency money, then they are responsible for paying off those debts within a certain time frame.

I can't tell you what to do but if I were in your position, I would not sign such a contract unless I felt confident that I would stay with the agency for the full 3 years and not try to search for new representation until the contract was up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035