Answering a Reader Question #656

Ericka Wrote:

Hi Dania!

Oh man I didn't know where to post this but I really REALLY need your help, I've been trying to set off my modeling career lately as I am already 18 and I recently got an email from this talent competition telling me I received and invitation to compete. Now I wanted to know if this was a Scam or not because I live in California and the competition is in Miami Florida and I pay for my own travel fee plus a $39.99 fee for every category I decide to compete in. Please check out the link and let me know ASAP if this will be a big break or just another scam :/ http://www.areyouthehottestmodel.com/ 


Hi, Ericka!

One word: RUN!

Lol, all jokes aside, this is the type of event that I encourage all aspiring models to stay away from at all costs. Whether it is a true scam or not, I can't readily verify myself (although the company/competition does show up on the website Rip Off Report) BUT I will say that it doesn't make much sense to participate in something like this when you consider the following alternatives:

1) Local talent and modeling agencies do not require you to "compete" for representation--all you have to do is submit your photos and information for them to evaluate

2) Submitting photos and info via email or snail mail is FREE

3) Attending an agency's open call--where you get to meet the actual staff--is FREE

4) To sign a contract with a legitimate agency is FREE

See where I'm going with this? :-)

Ignore those kinds of competitions and stick to submitting directly to agencies for free without the need to pay extraordinary fees or trusting a "middleman" to seek out and put you in touch with agencies. You can do this all on your own.

Comments

  1. wow thank you so much!! you really stopped me from making a big mistake right there, you're the best dania! I hope you don't stop what you're doing and I love how you care about your readers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're super welcome, I'm glad I could help! Anytime you have more questions or concerns, feel free to shoot them my way...that's what I'm here for and I don't plan on stopping what I'm doing anytime soon! :-D

    PS: Don't forget to check out the deets on my upcoming modeling webinar at the end of this month (posted on my other blog). If you're interested, I'd love to have you attend online and get the scoop on getting agency representation the right way straight from me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035