Answering a Reader Question #534

Linette Tang Wrote:

Hi! I'm currently 14 years old and I'd like to start getting involved in print/commercial modeling. As of the last time I measured myself a couple months ago I'm only 5'4'' and I happen to have braces. (bummer) Do you think I should wait until I get my braces off (which will be in 2016) before I contact agencies? By then I'd be 15 but it's possible I'd grow the 3/4 of an inch i need to reach 5'5''. Also, I was wondering if you could possibly suggest some agencies around me and any tips for getting started? I'm completely new to the industry (I live in West Covina, CA by the way). Thanks in advance and I hope you have an amazing year! :) 

Hi, Linette, Happy New Year!

Don't worry about trying to reach 5'5" because at 5'4" and at your age you qualify for teen modeling, which has flexible height requirements. So it's a good idea to look into agencies that have either or both commercial/print and teen modeling divisions. Commercial/print agencies also make exceptions for 5'4" models whose look they like.

Since your braces aren't set to be removed until 2016, I would say go ahead and submit yourself to agencies now and see if you're able to get signed. If you had only a few months to go with your braces then I would suggest waiting but 3 years is plenty of time for an agency to work with you until your braces would come off. So send in your snapshots and see what happens. Obviously you already know that when you do have your braces off, you'll have to redo your headshot and images for your portfolio...but you'll cross that bridge when it comes.

Below are agencies in Los Angeles--not far from you at all--that have teen modeling divisions you'll want to check out:

Siona Entertainment 
http://www.sionaentertainment.com

Wilhelmina Los Angeles
http://www.wilhelmina.com
*must submit by mail for the kids & teens division

Nouveau Model & Talent
http://www.nouveaumodels.com

BMG Models - LA
http://www.bmgmodels.com

As far as tips, the most important thing to know is that you don't need professional photos or a headshot to get started. Non professional, digital snapshots are what agencies want from new models. Below is a link to a blog post that talks in more detail about the steps for getting into modeling:

Where Do You Start?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035