Answering a Reader Question #484

Amanda Wrote:

Hey there!!
I'm 26, I'm 5'8 and I'm 140lbs and I am interested in commercial/print work everyone thinks I'm 21 (I guess it's not that big of a difference haha) but I would love to get started I have done a few shoots for my friends photography business and everyone is telling me I should go for it, and I love it so why not? Any advice? :)


Hi, Amanda!

It definitely sounds like you've been bitten by the modeling bug. :-) Right now you need to decide what goals you have for modeling and how seriously you want to pursue it. For example, do you want to try and find agency representation or are you more interested in doing it part-time/as a hobby by freelancing (acting as your own agent and finding work)?

If you want to try for an agency, you'll want to do an online search for agency websites. Location-wise, it is best to target those within a 2 hour's drive from where you live. As you stated, you'll want to look for agencies that have commercial/print and/or lifestyle divisions (lifestyle is another category of print modeling but for models 25 and older). Each agency website will have instructions/guidelines for how to submit to them and what types of materials/photos to send.

If freelance is more appealing to you, then you'll have to put together your own portfolio of professional images that show themes related to commercial/print. Once you have a portfolio and headshot ready, you can start submitting yourself to castings via social networking sites for models like Model Mayhem (www.modelmayhem.com), One Model Place (www.onemodelplace.com) or by doing a search for photographers, casting directors and modeling community/groups on Facebook.

Professional photos and headshots are required for freelancing but only digital, non professional snapshots are needed to submit to agencies (the professional portfolio would come after a contract has been signed).

As you can see, each choice has its own path and set of steps to take. If you need more help, feel free to email me directly: daniadenise@gmail.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035