Answering a Reader Question #395

Anonymous Wrote:


I have done some small time modelling before but now I'm just focusing on finishing university (1 more year left :D) and funny thing, a lot of places I go people ask me if I do modelling and why not. My new hairdresser is gay (I'm sure) and he kept complementing me and the girls were doing the same in the salon. He asked me if I wanted to be introduced to an agent and a photographer, it sounded good but alarm bells were also ringing. Not sure what to do, if they do try something funny I will break some bones (I'm a kickboxer) what should I do?

Hey, Anonymous! Lol, I don't think you should be so quick to get physical just yet. There is nothing wrong with getting the name and contact info for the agent and photographer and then going home to research the crap out of them. :-)

People get scouted like that often and tend to be legit most of the time--a male model who contacted me recently for career advice got his start after this hair stylist (female) commented about what a great look he had. She used her connections to book him a magazine shoot with a photographer she knew. So such opportunities aren't always scams or reasons to raise red flags, although it is good to exercise caution.

For now, ask for the info of the people they mentioned and see what you can find about the agency and photographer in question. I wouldn't recommend giving anyone at the salon your contact info to pass onto the agency and photographer. If things appear on the up-and-up according to what you find, then you may want to consider seeing where it could go.

However, if legitimate red flags appear, such as them asking for a ton of money upfront or trying to sell you on modeling classes/workshops, then you'd be well within your right to politely decline and move on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035