Answering a Reader Question #386

Anonymous Wrote:

Hi Dania ,
First off I love all your blogs I'm new to them and love them already. I've been an inspiring model since I was 12 I'm 17 now. I've been trying to line up modeling work for fashion shows and runways for some time now. Last year I was picked to join one source talent , they wanted me to have 500.00 up front with out warring that is best to bring at least half of the amount with you so I couldn't sign to them.
I took it as it was God telling me it wasn't ment for me to sign that contract. I also stay in Dearborn Michigan . How do I find the right work and model company to get started with right away.? 


Hey, Anonymous! Thanks for being a reader...I truly appreciate you! :-)

I'm so glad you didn't go with One Source Talent. You never have to pay a "middleman" to put you in touch with agencies when you can do that on your own for free. So kudos to you for going with your gut!

Michigan isn't a great market for modeling, which is why it's probably been challenging for you to find legitimate agencies and work. However, I did come across 3 agencies in Michigan that are worth looking into:

GD Productions Model & Talent
http://www.gdpros.com

Affiliated Group
http://www.affiliatedgroup.com

The I Group Model and Talent Management
http://www.theigroup.com

I would recommend browsing through each of the agency's websites and reading their instructions for submission carefully. Then go about sending in your photos and info or attending their open casting calls if they have them. Each one should tell you whether they want snapshots or professional photos so make sure you prepare each submission according to what each agency specifically asks for.

Should you hear back from any or all of them, keep an eye out for any red flags, such as upfront fees for things like portfolio shoots, classes/workshops, etc. "Upfront fees" are those that must be paid BEFORE a contract if offered, which is not legit. Agencies can only ask you to cover expenses for things like your first test shoot AFTER you've signed a contract. If they're affiliated with modeling conventions or schools, that's another red flag to be wary of. However, I looked through these agency websites and don't recall seeing any of that info but you'll want to check it out for yourself to make sure. Best of luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035