Answering a Reader Question #821

Jenny Wrote:

Hi Dania,

I have never seriously considered modeling since I am very short, but I just wanted to see if there was anything out there for me. I am Chinese-American and I have shoulder-length platinum blonde hair, a nostril piercing, a septum piercing, a medusa piercing, an industrial piercing, small gauged ears, a small heart outline tattoo on my wrist and a crescent moon on my finger. Yeah, it's a lot to take in and imagine. I am also only 5'3. BUT, I am also from the Bay Area in CA where it is not uncommon to see edgy/trendy people around. I've done modeling at my school and have been asked to model runway for student designers despite my many piercings, or rather because I have these. It's probably a long shot, but doesn't hurt to know. And I know that there's more edgy models breaking out into the modeling industry that have visible facial piercings and tattoos. Should I just try submitting to an agency just to test the waters? And if so, what agency? Are there any agencies currently existing that accept models with visible piercings and tattoos?

Hi there, Jenny!

From your physical description, I believe you'll have a difficult time getting agency representation in the Bay Area (I live in the Bay, too, so I know all about the modeling industry here). Not impossible but not easy.

While there are the examples you mentioned, the San Francisco Bay Area modeling market these days is more geared towards print work and using models that reflect the general consumer, which is business professional, techy and the college scene.

I've seen a few castings for "real people" models with tattoos and piercings so there are some opportunities but agencies overall are looking for "clean cut" model types.

My best piece of advice if you want to pursue this is to sign up for a profile on SF Casting (www.sfcasting.com). This is a casting agency site where you can upload your photos, stats and resume of experience and get email notifications anytime a project that matches your physical description pops up. You can submit yourself electronically and it goes straight to the client, who will then invite you to a casting/audition.

SF Casting is not a modeling agency so there is no contract or commission to pay. You just pay the monthly membership fee to have your profile in their database. I believe that would be the most effective way to accurately match yourself with clients and projects that are specifically casting for people with your look. I have used SF Casting for years and it is a wonderful resource for people in the Bay Area.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035