Answering a Reader Question #514

Nika Wrote:

Hey Dania,

So I have a question, I can't hold it. Is 130lbs really considered not fit or not small? I notice a lot of your readers post about their weight which is small and then at the end they say, but I'm trying to lose weight (insert: confused face). For fashion probably a little to big I guess, but for commercial I would think 130 is totally okay. I'm 128 now which is how my body looks most fit. I can't imagine going below this on purpose. When I'm lazy and don't exercise my weight can max out at 135 but I'm still in my size 4's and 2's comfortably, although again 128 is where my body has the most toned/fit look and it takes work to stay there. I'm 5'5" like the poster. I consider 130 to be a small/healthy size at that height, of course this all depends on how you are are proportioned and your muscle tone etc. I'm on a workout regimen now and while I hope to lose an inch or two, I don't necessarily care to lose weight, but not big deal if I do a lb or two comes off. I'd rather my body look small and fit rather than the scale show a smaller number. What are your thoughts? I get discouraged when I read that someone 130lbs is adamant on losing weight. With that being said I don't know her body type or how she's is proportioned; it's possible she's right, but I'm just saying....

Nika 


Hi there, Nika!

I don't blame you for being confused. One thing to keep in mind with the "weight issue" is that the modeling industry has set standards that do not reflect "the real world." The height, size, weight and measurements the industry uses are for its own purposes.

The good news for you is that as a print model, your current weight is perfectly fine and nothing to worry about. You're on the right path! Print models do not have to worry about the same things as fashion and runway models.

Models trying to get into the fashion and runway categories would be told (in most cases) to lose weight if they were 130 pounds. The rule of thumb for these types of models is to be between 100-115 lbs if they are 5'8" and taller. That sounds amazingly unrealistic and when talking about "the real world" it is but in the industry, it's the norm. That's why runway models often defy reality--of course this is mainly due to genetics. There are models who are 5'10" and 115 lbs and for their body type it is actually healthy. Where things get scary is when models try to somehow beat or change their genetic makeup by trying to lose drastic amounts of weight in order to fit agency standards.

There's way more I could say about this topic, lol, but in regards to your concerns, you're not going crazy. The numbers don't always make sense but then again, this is the modeling industry we're talking about! Keep doing what you're doing. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035