Answering a Reader Question #376

Anonymous Wrote:

Hi Dania,

Just recently stumbled onto your blog, and wow what a great resource!! I've read many comments about NYC agency submissions, but I hope you don't mind answering a question more tailored to my situation =) I have three years of modeling experience (mostly runway) signed with an agency in Boston. I'm 6', blonde, 21 years old, and slightly on the bigger end for stats (34-25-35) with what I would consider a pretty non-commercial look (which is also the major type of work available in Boston). Lately I've been feeling pigeonholed into the runway category (which isn't so bad because I love doing it) and the pay up here is somewhat lacking. I want the opportunity to book other types of jobs like high fashion and editorial and possibly even commercial print, so I have made the decision to try and model in NY. I've so far sent in online submissions or dropped off pictures at most of the top agencies and followed each one's submission guidelines via their websites. I did not use any of my professional photos, save for my comp card in some cases, even though it was tempting. It has been about two weeks since I have submitted everything and have not heard anything back. My question would be what can/should I do next? Not all of the agencies offer open calls, and I'm not sure if it would help to go to an open call if I have already submitted pictures online. Getting an agency in Boston was super easy, starting with an email then meeting then contract which all took place within a week. I'm struggling when it comes to NYC and could really use some advice!

Thanks =)


Hey, Anonymous! I don't mind answering your questions at all! :-) After reading your post, below are my thoughts:

- Play the waiting game a bit longer. Agencies don't always get back to models right away--even the ones they're interested in. If you haven't heard anything from the agencies in NYC you've submitted to after at least 1-2 months, then you can assume that they're not interested in representing you at this time.

- NYC is an entirely different beast of a market compared to Boston. The competition is much higher and even fiercer. While Boston was easy for you to break into, you've gotta be even more determined in pounding the pavement in terms of looking for an agency in Boston. You're a little fish in a big pond in New York and there are plenty of tall and stunning blondes all vying for the same top agencies you want to get into.

- Are you also submitting yourself to boutique agencies? All the top NYC agencies are well and good but only setting your sights on those and excluding the other fashion agencies in the area means you're missing possible opportunities to break into the NYC market. Many of the boutique agencies are power players and have legit gigs booked for their models so don't count them out. Apply to ALL fashion agencies, regardless of size. As long as they have a strong roster of models and an impressive client list of people they regularly work with, that is what matters. If you get signed to a boutique you can use that time to get used to working in the NYC market and when you feel ready, then you can start looking into opportunities to move up to a bigger agency.

I would advise that you submit yourself to the other agencies aside from the big ones and wait to see if they reply back. Give everything at least a month or two and if you still don't receive any responses, then look into making time to attend the casting calls of the agencies that you've already submitted to. Sometimes all it takes is having the agency see you in person in order to get the ball rolling.

Comments

  1. Hi, Dania.
    This one really sums up what I was going to ask!
    I have sent my applications and followed guidelines but I have not heard back from any of the agencies D:
    It's been about three weeks already... I'll play the waiting game a bit longer and if they don't reply, I'll just attend one of the open calls.
    But I'm afraid their thoughts... won't they be thinking that I'm stupid for turning up to their open calls when they have not replied to me because they are not interested in me? I am kinda shy and worry about what people think... I don't want to make them annoyed by turning up to their open calls...should i still go to the open calls if I don't get a reply?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Anonymous!

    It's totally fine to attend open calls if you haven't heard anything back from agencies after 6-8 weeks. To be quite honest, chances are they won't even know/remember you (unless it is a small agency or something like that).

    Agencies get tons of submissions each week and it isn't likely that they'll be able to point you out as that person who already submitted to them. So you shouldn't worry about that.

    You also don't have to mention that you've submitted to them before. Simply go in as if it was your first time and everything else should play out normally.

    If you're really concerned they may remember you or recognize you at the open call, then you can follow the rule of thumb by waiting 6 months before attending the open calls. Agencies allow models to resubmit, including going to open calls, 6 months to 1 year after their previous submission. But if you don't want to wait that long, at least give it a full 8 weeks before going to an open call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! ill see how it goes!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035