Answering a Reader Question #365

Adaire Wrote:


Hi Dania! I am 5'11", 34B/25"/35", dress 2/4 and 16 years old. I have been with a Florida boutique agency in Orlando since February 2010. The agecny has not offered me a contract, but I do have a portfolio listed on their website. I have had somewhat periodic contact with the owner of the agency and the bookers and have been sent to only one casting with Neiman Marcus and one promotional modeling job. I don't feel as though the agency is properly developing me, even though I try to stay in contact with them on a regular basis. In fact, my mom and I have doen more on a freelance basis, booking TFP shoots to build my portfolio and even booking a few paying jobs on our own. I typically get very short emails from the agency with no helpful information in return. The agency does have a few models that have been in NYFW and they are sending models overseas to Greece for development. My question is this: I was scouted on models.com by BMG Orlando. I have an interview tomorrow. If BMG offers me a contract, should I leave my current agency? If so, how do I separate? Thank you so much! I love, love your blog! It has been so helpful! xoxo

Adaire


Hey, Adaire! Since you don't have a contract with your current agency and they aren't really putting a lot of effort into marketing you, I would definitely recommend signing with BMG if they are interested in offering you a contract. Since you don't have a contract with your current agency, my best recommendation would be to submit a brief letter to them, stating that you wish to terminate your working relationship with them effectively immediately and have your portfolio removed from their website.

It is best to send this letter via snail mail and have it certified so that someone at the agency will have to sign for it. You'll receive a receipt showing who signed for the letter. This is to cover your bases, so that the agency can't claim they "never got it." Sending an email opens up the possibility of having it deleted or sent to spam or some other excuse so rely on snail mail to keep proper documentation of you sending them the letter.

You do NOT have to say why you want to terminate your representation or mention that you got an opportunity with BMG. A model is never obligated to explain their decision when separating from an agency. It's strictly business and the agency will understand that. I wish you the best of luck with BMG!!!

Comments

  1. Great advice, Dania. I will definitely take it. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question!

    Adaire

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035