Answering a Reader Question #747

Rachel Wrote:

Hi! I am a commercial model starting out, but a little confused. I am just under 5'8", I am very commercial looking, but I have done a LOT of photo shoots and runway and I look very high fashion in those cases. My agent says I look Commercial when I walk in the door, but my photos are very high fashion, so she is going to market me as Commercial. Would you agree with this angle? Thanks so much!!! (Sending this from my Mom's account, Ilona S.)

Rachel S.

Hey there, Rachel!

Even though you appear high fashion in photos and have done runway, if the chances of clients not being able to hire you due to the height issue is going to be a concern, then your agent isn't going to waste anyone's time by submitting you for that type of work. So I can see why they choose that angle.

I don't know if you have commercial/print images in your portfolio but I wouldn't be surprised if your agent required you to get these kinds of pictures done so they can market you appropriately to commercial/print clients.

A lot of us commercial/print models can appear high fashion with the complete hair, makeup and wardrobe package and have runway experience but for agency representation, it just makes sense to be marketed for actual commercial/print work since the chances of getting the same kind of fashion work as a traditional tall runway model is very slim.

Of course, if your agent comes across any castings for fashion/runway work that has a lower height requirement, they'll definitely submit you in those instances.

If anything, you should freelance for the fashion and runway work and let your agent handle the commercial/print gigs so that you can have the best of both worlds and don't have to choose one over the other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035