Answering a Reader Question #741

Anonymous Wrote:

Hi yes, i was curious i too just got offered a 1 year contract with DMG Management for the Men's division. They want me to pay for the portfolio shoot, makeup artist and what not. Is that ok? Or is this something that they should cover? I have seen alot on this agency and they seem to be very reputable but i dont want to get scammed.

Hi, Anonymous!

Because they gave you a contract first and then asked you to cover the expenses that come with setting up your portfolio shoot, it is entirely legal and common practice in the modeling industry.

Had the agency tried to make you pay for these expenses before offering you the contract, that would be technically considered an "upfront fee," which is illegal for modeling agencies in the US to do.

Below is a blog post I wrote that explains this concept in more detail but overall DMG is operating on the up and up since you have a contract offer on the table:

http://amodelsdiary.blogspot.com/2008/07/deal-with-agencies-test-shoots-for.html

Comments

  1. Hi! I'm signed with a modeling agency in nyc for their commercial print division. I've been with them for a few months but they haven't listed my measurements on my online portfolio. I'm not the only person without their stats listed. In fact there's a group of us on one page who are without stats. Why would a agency list the stats of some models and not others?? Is this something I should be concerned with? They're updating my portfolio constantly so it's clear I probably not being ignored. Idk because my other agency which manages me strictly for acting has my measurements on their site. I just wanted to know why the agency in NYC doesn't list my stats but my Long Island agency does. Also does your place on the website indicate your status in the agency? Because on the city agency I'm on the second to last page. I'm wondering if they see me at a lower rank than their other talent.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Anonymous! You'll find the answer to your question in its own post, titled "Answering a Reader Question #742." Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035