Answering a Reader Question #706

Anonymous Wrote:

Hi Dania!

I was reading this answer and saw that you wrote "although you are 5'2"...". Does that mean you can still do fashion shows even though you are not as tall as high fashion model? Its just that Im slightly shorter than 5'4" but i want to do fashion shows as well as fit modelling. Right now I am going to apply for fit modelling because thats the only modelling I think my height is suitable for. But if i could do fashion shows as well that woukd be great! Should I mention in my fit model aplication that I want to do local fashion shows as well? Or should I keep that to myself and if I get signed as a fit model, then I should tell the agency? Im so sorry for asking so many questions but this modelling industry is pretty confusing ahahaha.

Thank you so much and I wait for your reply!

P.S Congrats about Jennifer :D 

Hi, Anonymous!

Thanks for the congrats!

Don't worry about all the questions...that's what I'm here for. :-) Shorter models can do fashion shows BUT they tend to be on the local level, such as the bridal shows that reader was inquiring about. It's rare for models under 5'5" to appear in fashion shows on the scale of Fashion Week or other upper scale gigs but it's entirely possible to get into doing them locally. It just all depends on the company and what they're looking for.

Actually, if you're slightly shorter than 5'4" you should also be submitting for commercial/print and not just fit modeling. Depending on what city/state you live in, chances the agencies there will be very flexible when it comes to height for commercial/print.

I've often see models 5'2" and 5'3" as commercial/print models so don't shut yourself out of that category if you don't have to. Take a shot and see what happens.

Not all agencies bother with small, local fashion shows because they're usually not high paying gigs (if they pay at all) so there's no need to mention this to the agencies you're submitting to. 9 times out of 10 any smaller fashion shows you could end up doing would be something you'd have to find out about on your own.

So long answer short, lol: you can do fashion shows even if you're shorter but it's mainly going to be limited to the local level and will have to be opportunities you seek out yourself since most agencies won't even have those kinds of gigs on their radar.

Comments

  1. Your answer was so helpful!
    Okay I'll try for fit modelling and commercial/print. The thing is... I've read your blog post about commercial/print modelling...but I don't really get it :L Do the photographers like take the photo and they get the right to use it anywhere? Like use your photo for any commercial or something? Sorry, your commercial/print post was great. I think it's just me not being able to understand D:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Anonymous! You'll find the answer to your question in its own post, titled "Answering a Reader Question #708." Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035