Answering a Reader Question #888

Anonymous Wrote:

Hi Luv,

I want to sell some of my photoshoot images on my modeling website for some money..Do I need permission from my photographers and do I have to give them some of the profits? I'm not selling them for much..

All of the photographers have signed a basic model release form.

I've heard different answers to this. I live in California.

Please help...Thanks! :)

Hey there, Anonymous!

If you have the copies of the model release forms you signed, you'll want to revisit those and read over them to see if that subject is covered (or ask for copies from the photographers if you don't have a copy handy).

Not all model releases are the same and since I don't know what the ones you signed say, I can't readily say whether or not you are obligated to share any profits or ask for permission to sell your images.

Model release forms aside, you'll want to practice professional courtesy and reach out to the photographers that took the photos of you that you're planning to sell to let them know what you plan to do.

If you're not planning on selling them for much, I wouldn't be surprised if the photographers said it was okay to not share the profits--oftentimes, just the courtesy of letting them know is enough for them. Respect goes a long way in that sense.

However, if they do say that they're okay with you selling the pictures and don't want any money, it wouldn't hurt to have a new agreement to put that in writing just to cover all your bases. The last thing you want to do is have a photographer claim they didn't agree to that and have it turn into a he said/she said scenario. If you at least have it communicated via email and you keep a copy of that correspondence, that would suffice in place of a formal agreement/contract so you technically don't need to create a new document for them to sign--the goal is to have written proof of some kind.

It's one of those case-by-case situations that may vary from photographer to photographer but I always advise staying on the up-and-up and keeping them in the loop and working things out accordingly based on the feedback you receive. It's much better to do it that way than to keep them in the dark and have them be upset if they found out after the fact.

Best of luck to you and I hope that helped somewhat!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035