Answering a Reader Question #897

Katy Wrote:

Hey Dania, 
So I am 14 years old and 5'3". I've done extensive research on modeling in the past couple weeks, so I am well aware of the fact that I'm too short for runway modeling. I am, however, aware that I may be able to do commercial modeling, which would be a dream come true. I have been told I could be a model (but then again, so has everyone else, haha). An issue I might have is, my teeth, because of genetics, are fairly yellow and not as straight as I would love them to be..., is there anything I can do that would easily fix my teeth in a matter of a few weeks or months? Also, I live in the Denver, Colorado tri-state area and so far I have found a few agencies and places that are holding open audition type things and stuff, but I'm still unaware if I will have to pay an upfront fee just to book an appointment with them, or if I will just have to pay if they sign me. If you could answer any of those questions it would be so greatly appreciated! I love your blog and it has answered many of my other questions as well! :) Thanks

Hi Katy!

I'm glad you've been able to use my blog in doing research about getting into the modeling industry--and props to you for being so diligent in learning everything you can so you'll be better informed about how things work!

There are a ton of teeth whitening products that are sold over-the-counter without a prescription that you can try. They can be a bit pricey but if you follow the instructions to a tee, they should be able to get you some fairly noticeable results within a few weeks.

There is also the option of making an appointment with your dentist to get them professionally whitened. Not sure how much of the cost (that depends on your dental coverage) but it would be a good way to have it done for you and with good results if you didn't want to chance trying it yourself. So you've got those options available to you.

As far as the open calls for the agencies, you won't know anything until you actually make an appointment to be seen by them. Upfront fees are a no-no in general so any agency that tries to say you have to pay for this and that BEFORE signing a contract may not be operating in your best interest.

Because agencies don't readily state this info on their websites, you have to attend the audition/open call in order to find out how each agency operates when it comes to that.

The most important thing to remember when you do this, however, is that you have no obligation to pay for anything if you don't sign a contract. They can't pressure you or force you and just because they tell you that there are costs involved, that doesn't mean you have to say yes and move forward.

You always have the right to politely decline--never forget that! As long as you/your parents (since you're underage) don't sign anything, you can walk away.

If at any time you feel uncomfortable or feel like there are red flags popping up, you can thank them for their time and explain that you don't want to move forward. Stick to your guns and only move forward with an agency that seems genuinely interested in working with you, that will answer all your questions (without getting defensive or annoyed) and who will allow you to take a copy of the contract home to review if they are interested in representing you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035