Answering a Reader Question #858

Anonymous Wrote:

Hi Dania,

I have been selected by First Models and Houston agency. They have asked me to pay 490 USD for my portfolio. I am really scared whether am I doing right or not as they asked to pay 390 USD as a cash. They will take my pics for 6 changes. Can you please help me with this.

Hey, Anonymous!

The key to this situation is if the agency offered you a contract BEFORE saying you had to pay the money for the portfolio shoot. If they did give you a contract BEFORE, then it is legitimate for them to ask you to cover the cost for the shoot, as that is one of the common routes agencies take when signing a new model.

However, if they're asking you to pay the money upfront in order for them to offer you a contract, then that's a big no-no.

For more info, you can check out this link to a blog post I wrote that breaks down the options agencies choose from when it comes to this subject:

http://amodelsdiary.blogspot.com/2008/07/deal-with-agencies-test-shoots-for.html

Hope that helps and best of luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035