Answering a Reader Question #689

Anonymous Wrote:

Hello Dania! Firstly I love you and your blog!! Okay I'm kinda in a panic mode because I have a modelling interview in two days and im not prepared! I read through your'what the agency might ask' but i can't think of any answer to that! Any adivce? And also,can i say things like 'if I'm represented by (agency name)..."? Like if they ask "where do you see yourself in 5 years", can I say "Hopefully represented by you (as in agency)..."? And if they ask "why did you choose this agency" can I say "If I'm represented by you, I feel...etc"?
I'm sorry if some parts don't make sense! I'm just really panicked! Thank you so much!

Hi, Anonymous!

Awww, I love having you as a reader and thank you for submitting your question! As I wrote in one of my recent "Answering a Reader Question" blog post, the first thing to do is BREATHE! :-)

Congrats on getting the interview with the agency and of course I know how nerve wracking such a meeting can be. There aren't really any "right" or "wrong" answers to interview questions as long as you stay true to yourself and showcase your personality.

I actually like your proposed answer of, "Hopefully represented by you" to the question "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Of course you'll want to polish it a bit more by saying something similar to, "Hopefully leading a successful modeling career with you as my agent."

But if you do end up getting asked that question and give that as an answer, don't keep going back to mentioning them hypothetically being your agent through the rest of the interview. It will make you come across as desperate and a bit of a butt kisser, lol. The agency already knows its great so you don't need to stroke their ego in that way...the focus needs to be on what you can do for them.

So instead of saying "If I'm represented by you..." as an answer to a question like, "Why did you choose this agency," start off by talking about how you know you have the potential to be a great model and how that can only happen with the right representation.

The answers you give in a modeling interview don't have to be speeches. Keep your answers brief but with examples to back up whatever you're talking about as it applies (i.e. if they ask what hobbies you have, be prepared to provide specific examples...instead of saying "I like watching movies," an answer like "I love horror movies" gives the agency more insight as to who you are as a person).

Remember: the point of the interview is so the agency can see who you are as a person and whether their perception of you translates into being a good model they can work with. Whatever you do, don't over think the possible questions that could come up and don't focus on rehearsing exactly what you'd say. That only puts unnecessary pressure on yourself.

Enter the interview confident, with good energy, posture and eye contact and don't be afraid to take a quick moment to think about what you're going to say before you speak (you don't have to jump right in with an answer soon as they're finishing asking the question).

Think of the interview as a "conversation" not an "interrogation." It shouldn't be question, answer, question, answer, etc, etc. It should flow naturally and turn into a discussion where you're able to tell the agency about yourself and why you would be a great addition to their roster.

I'm sure you'll do great!!! I'll keep my fingers crossed!!!

Comments

  1. Hi, Dania!

    I was reading through questions and answers on this page and came across this question! I'm in a similar position as this person, except I have an interview about a week later and I have applied for fit modelling. Would the agency ask this type of question to a person appling for fitting model? Because I do'n't think it's appropriate to say something about my potential etc when I'm only applying for fit modelling where they care about the body size :L I don't know how to prepare myself for the interview because since I applied for fit modelling, the agency will not ask the same questions they ask to people who applied for high fashion. I'm lost and it would be great if you could help me!!

    Thank you so much!!

    P.S I read every post on the 'Dania Denise' blog and try to do the same for 'Modelling 101'! I admire and look up to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Anonymous! You'll find the answer to your question in its own post, titled "Answering a Reader Question #696." Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035