Answering a Reader Question #491

Nika Wrote:

Hey Dania!

Nika again! Makeup question. Can you share with us how you prepare for the camera when you don't have an MUA? I assume you always use concealer and full coverage foundation even if you have perfect skin. I have perfect skin off and on. At this moment I am fighting dark spots and my regular foundation is not covering. I've never used concealers or full coverage foundation so I don't know where to start. Can you tell us what steps you take to prepare for

the camera when you need a flawless look and what brands you use? I was looking at dermablend for concealing but I'm not sure. Oh, do you ever have to use body makeup? Thanks!

I feel like I may need a makeup application class :( I only now how to quickly throw on my basic foundation, mascara and gloss!


Hi, Nika! Great to hear from ya! :-)

Trust me, my skin is NOT perfect...far from it, in fact. It's healthy but as far as appearance, I do a lot to try and maintain it. I have eczema and hyperpigmentation (discoloration)...my face is 3 different shades without makeup on...it's not super bad but it's noticeable.

Anywho, let's get to your questions...so when I have to arrive camera ready for an actual shoot (not a casting call--I go much lighter on the makeup for casting calls), this is what I usually do:
  1. Start with a fresh, clean face that is well moisturized
  2. Apply concealer using a makeup sponge to my under-eye area and to any blemishes or dark spots I might have
  3. Apply liquid foundation using a makeup sponge to my entire face, taking care to drag some of the foundation color underneath my jaw line and onto the top part of my neck/throat and blend (to avoid that 2-tone mask look)
  4. Apply dark brown (not black) brow powder using an angled makeup brush to fill in my eyebrows so they look solid and neatly lined
  5. Apply primer to my eyelid and allow it to set for a few minutes before applying my eye shadow (this prevents that awful "creasing" that tends to occur when wearing eye shadow for a long time)
  6. Apply eye shadow, followed by black eye liner to my top lid (and bottom if necessary)
  7. Apply setting powder to keep my foundation in place and create a uniform color/appearance
  8. Apply blush using a large, rounded makeup brush
  9. Apply mascara to top lashes and sparingly on the bottom lashes
  10. Apply fake lashes (if necessary)
  11. Apply lip color using a lip brush
  12. Spritz a finishing spray (MAC Fix +) all over my face and allow to air dry
Soooo, that's pretty much what I do. I am a faithful MAC user and nearly all the makeup items I use are MAC. A lot of people talk about how bad it is for your skin, blah, blah, blah. But honestly, I've used it for years and have never had a negative reaction so as a result, I continue to use it. I also use MAC makeup brushes.

Of course you'll want to experiment with different makeup brands in order to find out what works for you and your skin type. Always ask for samples when available so you don't have to worry about spending money on something you don't end up liking.  

I've only used body makeup for fashion shows when needed, which isn't very often. For now you should focus on makeup in general. I highly recommend taking a makeup application class or asking for a tutorial at any makeup counter of a brand that you like. I got my makeup done professionally at a MAC makeup store for a shoot years ago and was fortunate enough to have the manager of the store do my makeup. The whole time she walked me through the process and explained everything she was doing and why. She taught me about the products, what they're supposed to do, etc. By the time she was done, I knew exactly how to do my own makeup for shoots.

Oh, and please don't get your makeup classes/tutorials from brands like Mary Kay. Bless their heart, they're a good company and have good products but they aren't designed for work/use in the entertainment industry. That's why I like brands like MAC and Sephora--their products are designed and formulated for not just regular use but also for photoshoots, film projects, etc. That's why their colors are so bright and vivid---it pops in front of the camera and allows for more dramatic application/uses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035