Answering a Reader Question #489

Anonymous Wrote:

Hi I'm a model with agency representation. I want to test again for my book however, I don't want to go through the agency photographer again since it was quite expensive $1420 total. I would prefer to not go through model mayhem since I personally haven't had great luck on there. I want someone who is experienced and knows how to shoot for the market I am in. I need to find a quality photographer in NYC who shoots commercial print/lifestyle images for my book. I want to continue shooting to get more experience since I am a new model as well. Where would you suggest I find a photographer I have called other agencies asking for a referral but they wouldn't give it to me since I am not represented by them. I would prefer to pay no more than say $900.00 which would include hair, makeup, styling and editing of the pics. Is this unreasonable I just want to test again with quality photographers. Do you have a list you could recommend for the NYC market? Please help. Oh and I have another question. I personally feel my look is outdated and no longer marketable. I feel the natural movement among African women is dying down and I personally want to straighten my hair. The major reason I went natural was to get a agency but now I don't care to have natural hair anymore. Should I consider a weave? How do you care for your hair I'm sure with all the styling and heat you must give it extra TLC in your spare time. I def. don't want to perm it just press it out every few wks. I am just really bored with my hair too. I feel this could be part of the reason I am not getting anything with my agency yet. Could you please look at my online portfolio and let me know what I could do to change my look.
http://nymmg.com/eportfolio.cfm?mid=124302. How should I approach my agency about changing my look. I kinda want bangs I think that would be really fun. I just feel clients would be able to do more with me if I straightened my hair. Plus I feel when testing with photographers they would be able to do more styles if my hair were straight. I would like to figure out a new look (assuming my agency approves it) before I test again to build a portfolio. Thank you so much. 



Hey, Anonymous!


I've never worked in the NYC market so unfortunately, I wouldn't have any idea as to who I could recommend to you as far as photographers go. I use Model Mayhem to find photographers to test with and have always gotten good results so I right now I don't use any other resource. Since you don't want to deal with MM, maybe you could try an old fashioned Google search for photographers in New York. In your search results there will be a list of official websites of photographers. I think it would be worth doing that, because you'll be able to visit their sites, see their portfolios and find out what their pricing options are.


It is best to have an introductory meeting with any photographer before actually shooting with them. If you don't already make this a practice in your career, you should definitely start doing so. It's a great way to find out if you'd potentially work well with that individual, as well as gain a better understanding for their shooting style, how they work, what their charges/fees are and what you'd be getting in return.


It's important that you talk to your agent about wanting to change your hairstyle. Tell them what you've told me and see what feedback they have. If they really don't want you to change your hair, ask if they'd be open to a "trial period" where you would straighten your hair, get some pictures done and see what the agency can do with them. If you end up getting work because of it, your agent won't have any issues about keeping the new hairstyle and if it doesn't do the trick, it's probably not much of an effort to go back to your natural hair.


I grew up perming/relaxing my hair chemically but stopped doing it almost a year ago. Now I just press/flat iron it and so far it's been great and obviously much gentler on my hair. I've always stuck with straight hair and never did braids or other natural looks. For hair care, I am diligent about deep conditioning my hair once a week. After I shampoo it in the shower, I blot my hair with a towel and apply a lot of deep conditioner (Silk Elements Mega Cholesterol Conditioning Treatment) from roots to tips and secure it in a clear shower cap. Then I'll just walk around the house that way, write articles online, etc. until it's pretty dry, then I'll rinse it out with lukewarm water. Then I'll towel dry my hair, slick it back into a ponytail using a product called Biosilk Silk Therapy, cover it with a head wrap and allow it to air dry as much as possible. Then I finish things off by blow drying with a hair pik attachment. I get my hair professionally deep conditioned, blow dried, flat ironed and trimmed every 8 weeks at a salon.



But you do need to tell your agent that you're unhappy with your current look and want to try something different. So have a talk with them first, find out what their thoughts are, what your options would be and if they give you the green light, then you can continue your search for photographers to shoot with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035