Answering a Reader Question #488

Anonymous Wrote:

Hi Dania! I am 14y.o and have been reading all your previous posts as I aspiring to become a model. I am very confident and very sociable. I am 5'6" but I am still growing. I wear heels almost on a daily basis to get use to the feel and to practice walking, I am able to do so with ease now. I also practice posing and I do very often focus on my facials and try to improve. I have mild acne but have just recently started a skincare regime a couple weeks ago and it has improved since, also I have acne on my back and have the occasional pimple on my chest. I also have gotten stretch marks on both sides of my hips purple in color after a recent growth spurt but have started using the product "Bio Oil" which is meant to improve the appearance of stretch marks over time. I don't diet but I try to eat as healthy as possible so I refrain from the fizzy drinks, juice, chocolate etc. I've also began exercising more. Another thing, I used to do ballet a year ago but have stopped after discovering it had been the cause of two corns on two of my toes due to the pressure of constantly being on pointe. I groom (eyebrows,nails etc.)once a week, oh and also I just remembered, does it matter if you have scars? I have a scar on my knee which isn't really noticeable but I was just wondering.

Anyways, what I'd like to know is if you think I have what it takes?

Another thing too, I have been prepping myself since last year, so when I was 13 and a half y.o I believe. And I have been told multiple times that I should model. It's just that, I haven't told my parents this is the career path I want to pursue as I am afraid of their reaction. PLEASE help me on this one, a few pointers of telling them?! Because every time they have asked me what I wanted to do when I left high school I have said things that I think of on the spot like a flight attendant, an accountant, a veterinarian etc.

One more question. From your knowledge of modeling, does breast size matter?

Thank-you for your help Dania ! :)


Hi, Anonymous!

Based on all your efforts so far to prep yourself for modeling it sounds like you're on the right track. Of course you will want to tackle all those issues first before submitting yourself to agencies. So that means clearing up your acne and body acne as best as possible and waiting for the Bio Oil to work until your stretch marks become lighter in color and aren't purple. Taking care of those things first will improve your chances much more compared to submitting yourself now. The small scar on your knee won't be a big deal--that can be covered with body makeup or airbrushed out in Photoshop.

Some agencies lower their minimum height requirement to 5'6"-5'7" for new models ages 13-15 so if you don't magically shoot up in height to 5'8" by the time your skin issues clear up, you might still have a chance to submit to fashion agencies. It depends on the agency and the city/state where you live.

Should fashion/runway agencies not work out for you, you are also the ideal height for commercial/print and teen modeling so that would be your plan B for getting into the industry.

Trying to tell your parents about your modeling goals isn't easy but check out this link to a blog post I did on the very subject. It's got some tips/suggestions that should help you out:

The Parents

Breast size matters depending on the type of modeling you want to do. It is better to be small breasted for fashion and runway because the sample sizes used are typically small and not usually tailored to accommodate a large bust. For commercial/print it doesn't matter, as long as a female model is proportional. Of course for niches like lingerie and swimwear, it's better to be busty in order to fill out the tops better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035