Answering a Reader Question #995

Anon Wrote:

Hi!

My question is, how do you deal with rejection from agencies?

I submitted photos about 3 to 4 weeks ago to 15 different agencies. None responded. To be honest, I am surprised by how...heartbroken I feel. I am upset to the point where I am struggling to leave bed and I cry too much.

I guess I am having a really tough time not taking it personally. It sounds messed up but it is like, how do I not let it impact how I view myself? As pretentious as it may sound, I genuinely do think I am (physically) beautiful/pretty/attractive/whatever, so I guess I am jusr sitting here thinking, "Wow, I am obviously delusional then and I am just super....bleh looking..." 

I guess I took the leap because I have had total strangers come up and ask if I am a model, etc...and because it is something I had a more lowkey interest in doing. I am also 5'7.5, 22 going on 23 soon, and wear a US size 6 if that helps. I am mainly interested commercial and print and catalog, and mainly some local runway shows.

What are some reasons too that agencies may reject someone? Also, idk if this matters, but most agencies I submitted to are at least a 4 to 5 hr drive away. Does that matter?

Idk...I know you have to have a thick skin, but the fact that I cannot even get my foot in the door is really hurting. The worst part is I have no one in real life to talk to about this, so I just randomly explode throughout the day.

Thanks!

Anon

Hey, Anon!

What I can say is that you are definitely not alone. There are countless aspiring models out there, male and female, who are in the exact same situation as you or who have been. The feelings you have are completely valid but the thing to focus on is not letting yourself stay in that rut emotionally because it's counterproductive to pursuing your goals.

The agencies you submitted to are outside of the recommended 2 hour drive radius so I wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the main reasons why the agencies you submitted to couldn't consider you. We can't read the agencies' minds but the distance is one of the bigger challenges.

You might also want to think about the types of photos you sent. I don't know what they look like but if they are not the right kind or quality agencies request, that is another reason (and a common one made by newbies) submissions aren't accepted.

It's good that you know with your age and height that you quality for commercial/print so it seems to me that it may be a combo of you living too far and possibly the photos you sent them.

Have you thought about attending open calls where you can make the time to travel there in person? That could be a solid plan B so that you can meet the agency staff in person, get evaluated and find out if they'd be interested in working with you. But keep in mind that the distance will be an issue for most but it doesn't hurt to go to open calls regardless.

First make sure the agencies you're interested in have open calls for print models--many agencies only have open calls for fashion models but checking the agency websites will help you figure out which ones to go to.

Don't give up just yet--you've barely just begun and have so much further you can go and more moves you can make to see what results come of your efforts. Hang in there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035