Answering a Reader Question #977

Anonymous Wrote:

Hi, Diana :)

I'm 17, 5'7", 107 lbs, measurements are 34-24-35.

My whole life, I've had people tell me that I should model. When I was younger (toddler age), I was supposed to start, but my father prevented that from happening. I was also approached at 13 in a mall by a company to model for them, but I was with my friend and in a hurry, so I kindly waved and declined as I walked passed.
With college starting in a year for me, I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to finally try it out and get some money for college. It seems like a flexible job - is it?

I approached my mother about it today. She basically laughed and said that I wouldn't make it because of my teeth (I have an overbite), and it wouldn't work for me to start at my age. That hurt, but the truth does hurt, I suppose.

Since I'll be on my own soon, is it possible to start modeling at the age of 18? I don't have the most beautiful face in the world, but I feel like my body could be of use.

What is the modeling industry like, nowadays? How does freelancing work? Is it possible to refuse to do bathing suits/lingerie, or is it mandatory? Do I have to smile and show my teeth for pictures?

I'm really hoping that this could work out for me someday.

Thanks :)

Hi, Anonymous!

First, let me say I'm sorry that you've been discouraged and hurt by your parents' reaction to your goals of wanting to model. Sometimes parents do what they feel is best but don't always execute it in the right way. Of course, you're not alone. There are many, many model hopefuls out there that have faced the same challenges as you.

The good news is that you completely have a chance to start modeling to at least see how far you can go with it. I firmly believe everyone deserves the right to pursue their dreams, whether it pans out or not. Going through life with the "What Ifs" is the worst and you are far too young to have to face that so soon.

To answer your questions:

Since I'll be on my own soon, is it possible to start modeling at the age of 18?

Yes! At your age and height, you are ideal for commercial/print, which is one of the most flexible divisions of modeling. There aren't many strict height requirements for most print agencies like with fashion and runway so there isn't that added pressure to try and "measure up." Same goes with physical stats/measurements. As long as you are healthy in appearance and proportional, that is what matters.

What is the modeling industry like, nowadays?

Truth be told, the more things change, the more they stay the same. In terms of what agencies look for and requirements, that hasn't changed too drastically. Of course the modeling world is really heavy on social media and Instagram is one of those sites that agencies and scouts are adding on as tools to find new faces.

However, because you'd be pursuing commercial/print, there really isn't much you need to be prepared for other than making sure you're submitting the right materials and photos to the agencies you're interested in.

You don't need a professional portfolio, pro photos or previous experience to appeal to agencies. A majority of agencies work with new and inexperienced models all the time so as long as you send them digital snapshots specific to what their guidelines state on the websites, that will help get your foot in the door.

How does freelancing work? 

Below is a link to blog posts I've written about freelance modeling. Although I wouldn't recommend you try it right out the gate since you're new:

http://amodelsdiary.blogspot.com/2011/04/what-is-freelance-modeling.html

http://amodelsdiary.blogspot.com/2011/12/freelance-modeling-pros-cons.html

http://amodelsdiary.blogspot.com/2010/09/main-components-freelance-models-need.html

I always suggest trying to get an agent first because then you can learn the ropes in a way that is safer and more legitimate than freelance, which requires you to do everything on your own and act as your own agent but that also opens you up to scams and other shady operations there are.

Is it possible to refuse to do bathing suits/lingerie, or is it mandatory? 

No one can force you to do modeling you don't want to. As long as you are clear about what types of modeling you're interested in, an agency will work with you. Lingerie is never mandatory and if you don't want to do it, then an agent won't submit you for that type of work.

For swimwear, when it comes to commercial/print modeling, those types of jobs would be very family friendly and the type of bathing suit you'd wear would be age-appropriate so it isn't like you'd be modeling skimpy swimsuits or posing in suggestive ways that would be uncomfortable for you.

Doing swimwear jobs isn't mandatory, either, so you don't have to take on those jobs if you don't want to but if you did, they wouldn't be something you'd be afraid to show other people.

Do I have to smile and show my teeth for pictures?

Not all the time but having photos where you are smiling is essential for all models' portfolios and for some shoots, especially in commercial/print. But that doesn't mean you should be overly concerned about your teeth to the point where you don't want to try modeling.

There are many models out there whose teeth are far from perfect (I'm one of them). So don't let that one self-perceived flaw prevent you from at least trying your hand at modeling and seeing what could come of it.

When it comes to college, modeling can be very flexible. If you got an agent all you'd need to do is provide them with your class schedule and they'll do what they can to work with it.

I hope that helps and best of luck to you!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035