Answering a Reader Question #937

Anonymous Wrote:

Dear Dania,
You are the best, thanks so much for your advice!!
I have a question though: I got accepted to a small but reputable model agency. However, they said that before signing the contract with me they would need me to get a test shoot done. They sent me a list of some pretty famous photographers and said I can either have a shoot with one of them or find any other photographer myself if I want. The prices for the test shoots on the list they sent me were 50£ (64$) on average, which is not too much, and the photographers are really famous and worked all over the globe. But do you think it's ok that they will sign a contract with me after I get the test shoot done? I don't know why but that makes me a bit nervous haha
Thanks in advance for you reply!!! <3

Hi, Anonymous!

Awww, thank you for the kind words!

Truth be told, I'm not familiar with the details of how things work with agencies in the UK so while I know that normally it isn't ideal to do test shoots as a type of prerequisite to signing a contract here in the US, I don't know that the same goes for agencies where you live. So I wouldn't feel comfortable guessing at the answer.

However, the fact that all the factors line up favorably (the agency being reputable, the photographers being famous but the agency giving you the option of finding your own photographers and the amount quoted being decent), I'm inclined to say that this would be an "exception to the rule" situation where you should proceed with the shoots.

Obviously, if it works out, you'll get signed and get things rolling. Worst case scenario, if they don't want to move forward (for whatever reason), you'll have a quality set of photos for a portfolio you can then take to other agencies.

So I say go for it! Please do keep me posted, I would love to know how it works out for you and best of luck!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035