Answering a Reader Question #740

Anonymous Wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if model agencies can move with me or find work in other countries? I am an upcoming senior in high school this fall of 2014. There is a lot on my mind about college and what I am wanting to do after graduation. I am going to be attending college in Amsterdam, hopefully the fall semester of 2015.
This summer one of my modeling friends recommended that I attend the Runway Loud fashion show in August. She guarantees that I will get signed with an agency if I go. Considering that I am "exactly what they're all looking for" at 17 and 6ft tall, and as thin as a board. She says they would snatch me up in a heartbeat. 

Should I sign with a modeling agency if I have the chance? Even though I will be leaving for college in just a little over a year that is halfway across the world?

Hi there, Anonymous!

There are agencies that have offices internationally so location wouldn't be an issue and there are also agencies that operate as "Mother Agencies" that will represent a model in their home country but also has connections with other agencies internationally who they will "loan their models out to" when the model is in that country.

So if you end up attending the event in August and get interest from agencies, let them know your plans for college in Amsterdam in the near future and find out if they are Mother Agencies or not. If they're not, then they won't be able to do much for you after you move away. However, if they are a Mother Agency, then they'll know exactly what to do and how to handle your career after you go to Amsterdam.

Hope that helps and best of luck to you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035