Answering a Reader Question #715

Stenly Wrote:

Hello,

I signed a contract with my agency about 6 months ago and now, since they're trying to be a very 'exclusive" agency in town, they're dictating whom I may hang out with and whom not. Also, I signed the contract, not knowing if it is 100% legal to sign a contract, if I am a student on an F-1 student visa who is about to go through an adjustment of status? I am trying to get out of this contract as soon as possible, and I also sent a request letter to be released from the agency, professionally explaining my situation and the information I'm concerned about. Any ideas? Is this even legal to sign a contract with an agency, even when at the last page of the contract it's asking for my SSN, but it's just left blank by the agency?

Thanks a lot!

Hey, Stenly,

That's terrible about your agency trying to tell you who you can hang out with. I don't blame you for wanting out. Unfortunately, I don't have any knowledge or experience with your particular situation as far as the F-1 student visa goes.

How long ago did you submit your termination letter to the agency? Pretty much the moment you send it and it is received by the agency, they have to honor your request unless there are any loose ends that need to be taken care of. But if there aren't, you should consider yourself no longer under contract with them.

To cover all your bases, however, it would help to talk to someone at the U.S. embassy or someone that's an expert with the whole F-1 visa subject and ask them the questions you've asked me. That would be the more effective and direct way to get accurate information about your situation.

There are models who have signed contracts without filling out all of the info, such as the SSN, because it may not apply to them but it's only been 6 months since you've signed with the agency so I'm hoping for your sake that they'll release you officially with no problems. Have you contacted the agency to find out if they did receive your letter?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035