Answering a Reader Question #713

Anonymous Wrote:

Hi Dania,
I was wondering if you could help me understand better what it takes to become a commercial model. I am 25 (unfortunately) so I know I'm not runway material anymore but I do think I would be good for commercial jobs, i.e. leg modeling, ads etc. Another problem I have are mild blemishes on the lower part of my facial skin - is this a big problem for this type of work? Thanks! P.S. I hope this blog is still active! :)

Hi, Anonymous!

Yes, my blog is active and still going strong! :-)

I have just the blog post for you if you'd like to get a better idea of what commercial/print is all about. Click on the link below and you'll learn all you'll need to know about this very popular category of modeling:

Understanding Commercial/Print Modeling

As far as what makes for an ideal commercial/print model, it's pretty basic: being photogenic is a must, as is being able to successfully portray a variety of expressions (happy, sad, angry, surprise, shock, etc). Unlike fashion and runway models, commercial/print models don't have to look exotic, unique, alien or possess strong bone structure. Print models tend to look like the guy/girl-next-door and is open age-wise.

Appearance-wise, print models should be healthy and proportional. You don't have to be a size zero and print modeling is very welcoming to a variety of sizes because commercial/print models are supposed to appeal to the average, everyday consumer.

Being well groomed (i.e. healthy hair, clean nails, nice smile, healthy complexion) is another must. Your skin doesn't have to be perfect but if you can manage to get it at its best, you'll be fine when it comes to submitting to print agencies. We all have blemishes and breakouts from time to time but if yours can be easily concealed with makeup, no one will be the wiser.

Commercial/print models lead very long careers, which means they can essentially model for as long as they want so age is never an issue like it is with fashion and runway. I firmly believe anyone can be successful as a commercial/print if they have an outgoing personality, aren't afraid to smile and be cheesy at times and understand that it's not like the fashion world at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035