Answering a Reader Question #682

Anonymous Wrote:

Hi Dania!

Since I was in my teens I was either asked if I was a model or told I should. When I was around 16 my mom and I decided I should give it a shot, especially since I live very close to NYC. We had head-shots taken (no make-up, natural hair) and sent them in to countless agencies and never got a response. 

I am now nearly 24, still get the same comments/questions, and would love to give it another shot. I've grown and slimmed out since (5'10, 130lbs, hourglass figure). I also don't quite look my age and can easily pass for a few years younger.

The only thing that's been holding me back from perusing is my age. I'm afraid it will get me tossed aside despite how much agencies like my looks. What are your thoughts? Any advice?

Hey, Anonymous!

At 24 you won't be getting signed to fashion/runway agencies so it is important to know that reality up front. NYC agencies typically set their maximum age cut off at 21 and very few at 22 (most set it at 19 or 20). My best piece of advice to you is to shoot for agencies that represent commercial/print and/or lifestyle models. Print modeling uses taller models as well as shorter models so your height won't be an issue.

Many fashion/runway agencies have more than one division, including commercial/print and lifestyle so chances are you've got plenty of places to send your photos out to. Lifestyle is a sub-category of commercial/print that is basically the same type of work but is for models ages 25 years or older. Some agencies use these two terms interchangeably, while others may have them as separate divisions. Either way, this is the niche you should be focused on getting into.

That being said, start looking online for NYC agencies and check each one's website to see if they represent commercial/print and/or lifestyle models. Then look up the submission guidelines for each one and prepare your submissions accordingly. If they hold casting calls, definitely make those a priority to attend instead of sending in pictures. However, if the agency's open call is only for fashion models, then you won't be eligible.

There is room for models in their mid to late 20s so there shouldn't be any worries or concerns that you're too old for modeling or to get started. It's just a matter of finding the right kind of field to get into and in your case that would be commercial/print and lifestyle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035