Answering a Reader Question #1,014


Anonymous Wrote:

Hi, I was offered a contract with an agency in Belgium, which is a few hours away from where I live in the Netherlands. But now an agency in Amsterdam has asked me to come in for an interview, which I think would be more beneficial for me since it is a lot closer to where I live. How do I tell the other agency that I don’t want to sign with them yet and want to wait and see how this interview goes? They have said I can sign with agencies in the Netherlands too if I just tell them but I would rather have the first agency I sign with not be international. Since I will probably build my portfolio with the first agency I sign with. Should I just be honest and explain the situation?

Hi, Anonymous!

Congrats on the interest you've received from both agencies so far, how exciting! :-)

Has the Belgium agency given you a deadline for when to return the signed contract by? Typically, agencies let you "think on it" for several days and will provide a deadline. 

Did you already have the interview with the Amsterdam agency?

At this point you don't have to say anything to the first agency. If the deadline for the contract isn't right away and you're able to schedule the interview with the second agency before that deadline, then you'd be able to see how things go with the second option.

Ultimately, if the Amsterdam agency wants to sign you and that is your preferred choice then you can politely decline the offer from Belgium but do not need to explain why. Definitely don't mention it's because you want to sign with another agency. Although it is a business move on your part, you want to minimize offending the Belgium agency and making them feel they are second-best, you know?

It sounds like either way you'll have a wonderful opportunity to get agency representation and your modeling career off on the right foot.

Wishing you the best of luck and if you need further advice in a more timely manner, don't hesitate to shoot me an email directly: daniadenise@gmail.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Answering a Reader Question #1,037

Answering a Reader Question #1,036

Answering a Reader Question #1,035